Corey Harris
Corey Harris Oct 13, 2013

@John Bunyan...Nice solid rhythm on Rambling on My Mind and your singing is smooth.  Well done and thanks.

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Oct 13, 2013

Wow Corey Your comment make my day (at least my night cause it's 1am here) ! The kind hearted solo is Muddy's Solo with slight variation and i also like to play like him without muting behind the slide. I love ragtime guitar too. I listen to blind blake a lot and it's real close to jazz swing i played before. In France people think picking is for country picking like Marcel dadi and Chet Atkins wich i don't like. So i didn't knew much about ragtime but know i'm in love with it and like to play alternate bass and make it swing ! In My opinion Marcel dadi doesn't swing but Big Bill Broonzy, Josh White, Lonnie Johnson and Blind blake (and many others but these are my favorite) have a great swing !! that's what i try to work on...

thanks again Corey,all my progress come from what i study with you and what we exchange in the lessons ! You bring me to work Kind hearted, then i tried muddy version because in A it was very high. And i wanted to show you my version of Police dog that we talked about so i work a lot on it !

See you on the lessons !

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Oct 15, 2013

Thanks Corey...I've studied both version of Gary Davis and Eric Bibb and I tried more or less to mix them and add something more personal..not too much...what I found really interesting in studying this tune is that Gary Davis pick the strings together for example when I play a C chord...the 1st and 3rd strings together instead the 5th and 1st...I surely explained myself very bad but you know what I mean!! :DD It's totally different than Mississppi John Hurt and every song we have studied till today...

he used to say that, according to Stefan Grossman,it was the new way to play!!! new, old...well I like them both!!! :)))

thanks

Alex

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Oct 15, 2013

Hey Rich,

Try this one in 3rd position on a G harp. You can play the key riff - 2 draw (bottom bend), 1 draw, 4 draw or 1 & 4 draw octave. Slap tongue the 4 draw. Try it - you'll like it.

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Oct 15, 2013

Hey Rich,

Try Little Red Rooster in third position. Grab a G harp. You can play the key riff - 2 draw (bottom bend), 1 draw, 4 draw (slap tongue) or 1/4 draw octave. 

Rich G
Rich G Oct 16, 2013

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm not sure that I am playing it right, but it does sound pretty cool - real dirty.  I'll keep working on it. I am trying to get my band to consider doing a couple of Jimmy Rogers tunes (at least that's where I know them from) - "Goin' Away Baby" and "Ludella." I'd also like to get them on to "Walkin' Blues" in the Butterfield style and also his  "Baby, Please Don't Go."

Take care,

Rich

Tom
Tom Oct 27, 2013

Duke sez:

"

Duke Robillard

Oct 07, 2013

Hey Tom, another good one. i really like the sound you two have together. Did you know i recorded Texas Flood on the first Roomful of blues album 5 years before Stevie did it? keep up the good worK. Duke 

"

stevieboy
stevieboy Oct 27, 2013

I somehow missed this open mike session.  Sorry I did, but now that I've found I can go back and listen to everyone's stuff!

As far as Duke and Texas Flood, that album was the first place I heard that song performed by anyone--and it still sets the standard as far as I'm concerned!  After being a big Roomful fan from attending many of their appearances around the clubs in Boston, I missed them a lot when I moved to CA.  One day I was in a Tower Records and came across the album.  Bought it right away of course, still have it--though I'm currently without a turntable.  

Vinny
Vinny Oct 27, 2013

Corey - thanks very much for your comments - I must confess I was not in very good shape when I made these videos - I have taken a severe beating in about every life category possible this year - and my voice is in terrible shape - but especially on the last song I am proud of the arrangement - it took a long time to transpose the chord progression and find a way to incorporate a finger picking style and use some first position blues licks without turning it completely into a country blues number.  This is one of those songs that I look at as sort of a cross-over song - not purely blues - but probably would never have existed without the blues - and from a period when there were a lot of great songs that were I think inspired by the blues but were written for a different audience.  Especially on Broadway and where Broadway songwriters were used in Hollywood, there is a very strong influence of the Harlem Renaissance; i.e. Summertime, etc.  Tremendous creative exchanges going on.  Bill Broonzy had a big success with a country blues record of a song called "When Did You Leave Heaven" sometimes called "Little Angel Mine."  It was written by white Broadway songwriters for a Hollywood film and the original recording was very bland.  But Broonzy recognized some great lyrics and a blues progression and turned it into a great country blues number.

Thanks for the comment on the other song too - I am usually a "balls-out" singer - more primitive and basic - but John Estes sort of inspired me to stretch a bit in the direction of a smoother style.  I'm probably more comfortable though singing a Bukka White inspired version of "Fixin to Die."

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Nov 05, 2013

Hy all...I'm sorry, I know that open mic is finished but I thought that this was the best place to share this video. It's the official video of "Il Cielo di Lampedusa" by La Compagnia dei Rifugiati here in Bologna. they organized a performance in memory of the immense tragedy where more than 300 of Eritreans died in the mediterranean sea escaping from the dictatorship of Isahias Afewerky. The people are speaking are my close friends and I had the pleasure and honor to play behind a couple of them while they read their poems. I off course played slide guitar and with my surprise they put a recording of mine in the official video...Dark was the night,Cold was the ground....

In memory of all this young african people died for freedom

Alex Barbera

thanks to Corey for teaching me as the result wouldn't have been good and Jd, Mike Peter and the others for being always supportive and constructive with me

Ciao

Alex

Alex Barbera

Hy Peter, yes it's me...I couldn't recognize myself too...actually when they posted the official video and I heard this guitar playin the same tune I played saturday I was a little bit "disappointed"...in the sense that if you asked me to play maybe you could ask me even to record for the video, right?? then I visited my reverbnation site and I remembered that this was a very old recording I did I think 8 months ago...very funny...They downloaded it without asking me and so I couldn't know at the beginning that it was mine...this is the funny part

the serious part is this...I'd like you and anybody here to read this....this is the result of the modern racism..and it's even legalized...this things are happening because by law exist first class citizens,second and 3rd citizens....If there were freedom of movement all this people wouldn't have died...I couldn't play a different tune for this occasion than Dark was the night,cold was the ground and feelin bad blues...but this dosn't really matter...we should be aware that in the modern world still we have 1st,2nd and 3rd class citizens...Peter, me and you are 1st class citizens..we can go everywhere in the world...sometimes we're requested to ask for a visa..but this people not...everywhere they want to go, they have to ask a permission to somebody...and because it's not possible to have this permit then you take even the risk to die just to go away from a place that is in any case killing you...we should wait and think about it at least 5 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24380247

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Nov 05, 2013

Very moving video Alex, nothing to say or to add. The music really fits this tragic images and situation. It's nice that peoples made something in memory of them. Bless them from France.

greetings

JD

Alex Barbera

Thanks Jd...I do appreciate it! :)

Alex

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close