JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Oct 03, 2013

I also have made a Police Dog Version for an "Ask Corey" post ive made about this song. It's still a work in progress version and i rush the tempo a lot (i'm still fightin with that but it's hard). I post it here, hope you'll like it...

This open mic is such a good occasion to share our music, thanks Mike for this !! And thanks to Corey, Duke and Jeff too !

!

Preston
Preston Oct 03, 2013

Hello JD, Thanks for you nice comment!! However I have not played harmonica for about 6 months prior to yesterday.... but I was seriously learning to play harp before that for about 2 years.... so I didn't learn to play like that in 6 months!!

Vinny
Vinny Oct 03, 2013

All this harp playing here is great -- I  used to play some harmonica many years ago -- had dental problems and lost my chops - but I think it's such a definitive blues instrument -- kudos to everyone - wish you lived in my neighborhood I can never find anyone to play blues harp -- all the real thing

Guy P
Guy P Oct 03, 2013

Thats funny I can never find anyone to play blues guitar with my harp. I havent been playing that long only a little over a year but I have a couple of great teachers. There is so much to learn with that little harmonica much more than I ever thought when I decided to learn it but Im having fun and love the blues. Also thanks for the kind words JD that solo was just off the top of my head playing to a random jam track. I just try and play what Im feeling at the time. You sound great on guitar JD I wanted to jump in and play blues harp. Loved listening to everyone. 

Vinny
Vinny Oct 03, 2013

That Guy - -you know if what you play is tasteful -- and appropriate -- nobody knows what you can't play -- they just hear what you can play -- and one can play a very soulful harp without being too technically complicated -- guys like Howlin' Wolf were brilliant but often very simple and straight forward -- the harmonica has the ability to be very powerful with very few notes - just played appropriately and with the right timing and inflection.  If it's sweet it's sweet.

Vinny
Vinny Oct 03, 2013

JD - thanks for the comment - yaah I'm in an area where there are oil refineries and a lot of crop dusting and my throat and voice are reall fried - and I'm not used to trying to sing at such low volumes -- I'm usually pretty loud -- so I found myself slipping into higher register.  I like your work on the reso - and it's hard to beat Muddy's versions of anything -- inspiring me to do some video on the reso next time -- tempo -- try and see some video on YouTube of Big Joe Williams and catch that big stomping foot -- really works -- He played very vigorously in open G capoed up to A and double strung three or four of his strings, but he always had that foot stomping going all the time.

Vinny
Vinny Oct 03, 2013

Alex -- your singing is actualy very good - you just are comparing yourself unfairly to people you admire.  I'm Italian too so your accent does not bother me.  Just remember there are for all of us songs that are more suitable to our talents - and that is an important aspect of singing.  What I liked about this video is that you were more confident in the playing, and more relaxed with it, and let the vocal just come out of the playing -- don't worry about how anybody else did it -- and remember that there will be songs that are difficult to sing for everybody - and then you will find things that are more suitable to your voice and you are more comfortable with.  Best thing is to be very confident about the playing,so you don't have to worry about anything related to the guitar and you can relax with the singing.  I've been working on some Bukka White and I found it the most difficult thing to sing and play and the aame time because the two are so different - on different pages - they work together but I really had to practice the guitar part a long long time before I could even start to sing the song.  Even Eric Clapton has said many times that he doesn't do a lot of material - like Howlin' Wolf - because it's so fundamental -- roots -- he doesn't have the voice or the emotional basis to perform that kind of music - although he loves and admires it.  But your guitar playing was very good on this too - I think that style - suits you - and it's different from pure Delta -- it's all about finding your style - what suits you - I would recommend listening to a lot of Mississippi John Hurt -- very soft vocal style - understated - elegant guitar playing - more Piedmont style than Delta -- I think you will be inspired - maybe you already are familiar with him. But you sort of slipped into a quiet understated delivery and it really neutralized the accent I think - I think it's more an issue of just identifying material that suits you as an individual.  All the greats had a style - they didn't play and sing everything.  Yes the Kalamazoo is a great love -- she was really beat up and thrashed when I found her -- and I have been slowly bringing her back into her own. Have one final step now when I get the money - and I have worked to get her ready to do some nice bottleneck hopefully.  I plan on taking a road trip soon through rural Michigan -there are a million instruments like that in barns up there -- you can get them for practically nothing and some of them are in pretty good shape.  The sound on that video was not very good -- unedited cell phone - she has some really beautiful tone -- 80 year old Mahagony and Red Spruce- hard to beat - And that really fat V neck I love.  

Vinny
Vinny Oct 03, 2013

John - Ramblin -- great -- I have to laugh -- you  look like such a mild mannered gent - do people know you've got this Delta Blues Streak?  Would love to hear that with some good harp.  Timing and slide work were clean and excellent.  Lots of creativity here -- very exciting to be part of this community.

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Oct 04, 2013

@Learningharp Ah Ok i understand ! But even it it make longer it was really good !

@Peter Thanks for your compliment ! I make a lot of takes too ! I'm workin on that one since a long time and change the arrangement a lot(A, E, G...). it's more than 3 monthe of daily work and i'll keep workin on it to really dig it :)
Police dog is a Blind Blake tune and it's my favorite :) Dr.House made a great version of it to and his singing at slow tempo help me too.
And yes, i'm a professionnaly guitar teacher :) I've made a guitar method for beginner and composition for many things. But i play rock or jazz stuff with a pick (and some classical and bossa stuff too). But that style (country blues) with the slide,the thumb and the index is quite new for me. I think it's 2 year of work ! And i take singing lesson since last year too. But Corey gave me confidence in my singing ! When he said me "don't matter of your voice but what you have to say - even if you have a stella guitar you can do the best with it" : it really speak to me because i know i can make good sound on a cheap guitar so i figure out that i could sing with my voice wich is not the voice i wanted. I wanted a Gibson voice but infortunatly i have to play with my stella (although i like stell guitar, just an image)

@JOhn This version is also good !! You have to post more on the lesson :) !!

@That Guy : i like to play with harp player but i don't find many around but when i think i'm ready to play blues gig i'll search for one in Paris

@Vinny Thanks for the words :) Hard to emulate Big Joe too ;) I guess he never played with a metronome but played his song so many time that he's confortable and don't rush the time... Waiting to hear you on a reso too !

Tom
Tom Oct 04, 2013

Attn: JD Krooks Crouchy

I love your take on Robert Johnson's "Kind Hearted Woman" I know what goes into that effort. I'd like you to hear some of mine.

My take on his "Walkin' Blues"

Also...

"Come On In MY Kitchen".

I made these audios 12 years ago with Window's free "Sound Recorder" and a $10.00 table mike on a Carlo Robelli Resophonic hollow body guitar through a 15 watt Peavy practice amp with reverb at moderate volume.

Vinny
Vinny Oct 04, 2013

JD - of course you can't emulate Joe Williams - but he's in tempo because he uses his foot to keep the beat -- it does work - it's much easier to keep tempo in the body - ala dancing - tapping feet - than just playing an instrument or singing.  It's not just repetition - he always did that to keep tempo.  

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Oct 04, 2013

Vinny- thanks a lot!!! Yes I do like MJH...He's one of my fav and I agree on all you said...thanks a lot for the encouregment and precious advices!!! I take them in a lot of consideration....:)

Are you really italian too!!?!?!? You mean by origin, or born in Italy and after migrated to the states???Because you're English is perfect! :))

Alex Barbera

@Jd...nice videos...I especially like police dog blues...I notice that you sing very well Blind Blake songs...

I've got a request....PLEASE post me a video of you in electric!!!! I'm too curious mon blues frere! :))

Alex Barbera

Peter....you are an amazing composer...your 44 blues version is a vision....when I hear your compositions...you take me back to Pink Floyd!! You've got really a LOT of taste! :)

Preston
Preston Oct 05, 2013

Thanks People for all your comments...I appreciate it very much..

JD your guitar playing is just beautiful...wish I could play harmonica along with you!!

Preston
Preston Oct 05, 2013

Alex Nice song candyman and you played it well like JD says the ending could have been improved a bit....

I would love to play along with you on my harmonica!!

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Oct 05, 2013

@Tom you had a nice touch ! why don't you play reso again ?

@Alex : I prefer my dobro when i'm singing alon it has a larger sound and it's a little bit in a "rock" feeling. I play lead slide with no bass usually maybe i do a take again...

@Vinny taping my foot didn't help so much if the songs is difficult for me even taping my foot makes me rush but i understand why you mean. The thing is that  if i have to think of the song part, the lyrics and the voice : i ruch... i have to really know the song. It's easier to keep rythm when you head is free from too many things to think... that's my opinion

@Learning Harp i hope to come in usa one day !! but if you came to france we can play ;)

Tom
Tom Oct 05, 2013

JD...

I don't have any equipment. My amp blew up and I can't afford... You know...

I'm always using borrowed equipment these days...! Ain't that sad...???

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Oct 06, 2013

Hy all... I upload two more videos. First is the traditional spiritual song...Needed Time and the second it's the arrangement of the instrumental tune Feelin Bad Blues. I want to dedicate this two song to all the brothers from Eritrea died nex to Lampedusa Island in search of a better future here in Europe...It has been an immense tragedy..

Guy P
Guy P Oct 06, 2013

HI everyone Guy Preston here hey Preston is that your last name?? we cousins lol

Tom
Tom Oct 06, 2013

Alex's slide work is excellent. Sounds like Ry Cooder. You can't beat a Gibson J-45 for that. But they're so expensive.

Preston
Preston Oct 06, 2013

Hi Guy...Preston is my first name!! anyway nice to meet you... I see that you play harp, that's nice...learning an instrument is a great journey down a very long road....

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Oct 07, 2013

Hi Alex, Really nice version of a great tune. love it! Duke

Tom
Tom Oct 07, 2013

I'd love to hear what Duke thinks of any one of the three videos that I posted on the first page.

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Oct 07, 2013

hey guys, thank you all for your feedback! I do appreciate them all!!! :))

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close