Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Dec 28, 2012

The first little rhythm piece, ala Sonny Terry, is excellent. Good beat and timing and a nice full and rich sound on the chords. The second piecce where you're playing a boogie pattern is not as successful but you're on the right track. Sometimes the note selection doesn't work musically because I think you're not comfortable inserting bent notes where they should be and are more at ease playing a straight note that sometimes doesn't quite fit. But overall a good job. Keep working on getting stronger and more precise with the bends.

daddyray (robbie)
daddyray (robbie) Dec 28, 2012

thanks Jerry...if I may dare make an excuse I have a rather tough little cough and I cannot keep my breathing stright so I chumped some parts. I do not play much harp these days so I am very sloppy I know. 

What do you do when you get a cough or cold and have to play a gig? 

Jerry Portnoy

I keep a handkerchief handy, tea with honey to soothe the throat, and do the best I can. The show must go on!

Jerry Portnoy

@Surly-Mac - I really like how relaxed and unhurried you are. I dislike frantic playing and frantic sounding music. Your notes on the harp are nice and clear and the occasional tongue-blocking sounds good too! 

Jerry Portnoy

Hey Mike - Great job on Silent Night! Very pretty.

daddyray (robbie)
daddyray (robbie) Dec 28, 2012

I studied for a while with Joe Filisko at Old Town School of Folk Music but as I said I am painfully rusty. Perhaps Joe would not like me admitiing that since my control is so poor.. ; )

Also in "real life" I am a hot electric guitar player. In the vein of the so called west side style ala Otis Rush Magic Sam n Luther Johnson (the guy who first inspired me to play music).  

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Dec 28, 2012

@Alex...Nice version and that guitar sound good too.  Happy New Year to you and yours...

Corey Harris

@Daddy Ray...sound real nice.  Is that a Triolian?  I dig how you playing it.  Thanks for sharing.

Corey Harris

@Mike...harmonica sound good.  how long have you been playing?

Surly-Mac
Surly-Mac Dec 28, 2012

@floridaskater - Steve - I really like your songs & was particularly moved by "Thirteen".  Nice..

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Dec 29, 2012

Thanks Corey....Happy new year to you all, Gordon Chris and the rest of the band from Semi and me...and can't wait for the new album and the book about Ali Farka!!! ;))

A presto

Un abbraccio

Alex

Surly-Mac
Surly-Mac Dec 29, 2012

@Jerry Portnoy - Thanks so much for taking the time to listen, comment & even update the post.  Man, it's a thrill to get some input from a blues icon...  Thank you.

daddyray (robbie)
daddyray (robbie) Dec 29, 2012

Rip Torn the actor...I use that everywhere. 

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Dec 29, 2012

Hey Dave, Sounds great! Duke Robillard

Duke Robillard

Hello Floridaskater, Very moving song and performance. Duke Robillard

Duke Robillard

Hey Daddyray, Great preformance! Good tone and fingerpicking technique also. It's a good habit to play with a metrrnome also. Duke

Duke Robillard

Hey Alex SJ, Nice haunting piece. What model guitar is that? Duke

Duke Robillard

Hi Peter Wolf, Interesting piece with cool visuals and even thunder and crickets! Wow, Love it!Duke 

Duke Robillard

Dave Stephens, Cool jazz playing man and what a cool axe! Duke

Duke Robillard

Surly-Mac, Nice "Lonesome" sound! Like the combination of instruments. good bluesy harp Love the uke! Duke

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Dec 29, 2012

@Daddy Ray...nice harp playing.  Didn't know you could play that too.  I dig the first piece the most....

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Dec 29, 2012

@Peter Wolf...thanks for posting the video.  You are very creative...I dig the cricket and nature sounds.  Happy New Year.

Surly-Mac
Surly-Mac Dec 29, 2012

Duke Robillard - Thanks for the kind feedback!

Surly-Mac
Surly-Mac Dec 29, 2012

daddyray - great stuff; thanks for posting!

Surly-Mac
Surly-Mac Dec 29, 2012

Alex SJ - Very cool slide work... thanks for posting.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close