Mike Caren
Mike Caren Dec 25, 2012

Dec 2012 Open Mic Night will be on this thread starting Wednesday, Dec 26th and run to Jan 1st.

--- background and guidelines ---

Open Mic Night is when we share videos of ourselves playing our favorite tunes. They can be songs you wrote, songs you learned here or learned somewhere else. The point is to relax, have fun, and enjoy each others music. This is a time to encourage and support each other. It's not a time for critism or constructive feedback. We have plenty of places to do that. Instead, this is a time to celebrate and share how far each of us has come ... and recharge for the next part of our journey.

I look forward to seeing the videos and enjoying some great music!

Mike

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Dec 25, 2012

Ever since Jerry posted his Silent Night lesson last year, I've wanted to learn how to play it.  I've been having fun with it over the past couple months.  It's still a little rough at times, but I finally got a pretty good take.  Hope you like it!

Dave Stephens
Dave Stephens Dec 25, 2012

I did this jam for a blues jam contest and had fun with it, I seldom get time to just play for myself and this was one rare time I just sat down and went for it. Enjoy, Happy Holidays to all my musicians friends.

Dave Stephens

carmie
carmie Dec 26, 2012

great job guys keep up the practice.

Roger
Roger Dec 26, 2012

Mike - very nice version of Silent Night. You are sounding great.

Roger
Roger Dec 26, 2012

Dave - that was great. Nice interesting blues phrasing. You get some great tone out of that Les Paul !

Steve Marinak
Steve Marinak Dec 26, 2012

I've been meaning to come back (honest!), I keep seeing Duke's lessons noted in Facebook, but with work keeping me busy sometimes I get buried.  I'm looking forward to going back over his Honky Tonk instruction as well as the Jumpin Blues lessons.  Just got a little downtime from work and finally finished the year.  Wrote a couple songs quickly for my family for Christmas along with buying stuff, ...I think they like the songs much better than the bought stuff.  These videos are not guitar wizardry by any means.  One song for my wife, another for my daughter.   BTW, Duke if you read this my college grad son loves the Telecaster Custom, he thinks he's Ed Bickert now..and getting close to it.

Glad to be back on Sonic-Junction.  I hope to be seeing more of you all in 2013!  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Steve Marinak

All Over Again

Thirteen

Dave Stephens
Dave Stephens Dec 26, 2012

Thanks for the tone comment. Those are  one of my most current PAF replicas, pretty much ten full years of reverse engineering work went into those. Not many players have ever played vintage PAF's, they were the grand daddy of all humbuckers and still are the best in my opinion, the best clarity, vowel tones galore and sweet chirpy tones in middle position, great for all kinds of music styles, blues and jazz. Am lucky to make my living at my passion ;-)

Tom
Tom Dec 26, 2012

I got some audios that I could upload, but not videos. Can I do that...? How...?

daddyray (robbie)
daddyray (robbie) Dec 26, 2012

daddyray (robbie)

Sloppier with my pulse than I woukld like. Just my standard A blues thing. 

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Dec 26, 2012

Hy all,

this should be a kind of Dark was the night, cold was the ground of Blind Willie Johnson mixed with Paris Sunrise of Ben Harper :DDD..Just havin fun...

Merry Christmas everybody and happy new year and yes,the world isn't finished..:DDD

daddyray (robbie)

cool stuff, Alex...what is the crackling noise after 2 minutes? nice intonation, you make the guiatr sound really nice.

Alex Barbera

@ray...Do you mean at 2:13?!?!?!? It's the slide beating the neck of the guitar..I did it involutanry but it doesn't sound so bad, isn't it? Sometimes I like to do it for purpose that this wasn't the case...

I like your video...I can hear some Robert Johnson and Willie Brown in it.....:)))

Alex Barbera

@ray...is that a National Tricone Resonator guitar?

daddyray (robbie)

Alex there is background noise even when youa re not fretting the guitar. I am not talking about the slide noise or the string squeeks. Crackiing is an apt word. I do enjoy your touch regardless.

daddyray (robbie)

yes that is my 1.5 national. For resonators I have a baritone National a Regal wood body a 30s Trojan and a 70s O style single cone. 

Alex Barbera

Oh that are the new strings that I recently changed...I don't have the pliers with me..I forgot them in Bologna but now I'm in Sardinia at my parent's home and I don't want to use the scissors to cut them...So now they're free to buzz!! :)) 

Thanks for your compliments...I'm still lookng for a more woody and dynamic sound..:) Hope to see more your videos on Corey's lesson! :)

Rich G
Rich G Dec 26, 2012

Daddyray - Great playing!  What kind of guitar is that?  Is it a resonator?  Looks very cool from what I can see.

bruno
bruno Dec 26, 2012

@mean mojo: you can upload an audio file by clicking on the little filmstrip icon in the toolbar, and then selecting your file from your computer. The button looks like this:

created at: 12/26/2012

After you click it, you'll get a pop up dialog like this:

created at: 12/26/2012

From there, you can just choose your audio file and upload it. Hope that helps!

Dave Stephens
Dave Stephens Dec 26, 2012

Some NICE playing guys! Love the old acoustic blues styles. Anyway, it inspired me to do a quick jam for fun, also as a test of the finished prototype of my CC90, Charlie Christian pickup in a dog ear cover. I love the CC sound, but they are difficult to make, the blades were two parts and alot of critical physical details inside the design I copied from a dead one I bought on Ebay. Pretty much everyone who tries to make these does them wrong. I scored some NOS wire I've been looking for ten years for these and used it in this one. Just FYI, I'm NOT using flatwounds that all the jazz guys use with the CC pickups, so its a little bit different sound, plus I jacked up the gain a little though start out backed off. My playing is really rusty, I need to play more, my fingers are regressing and hurting, bad sign, means I need to work the strings frequently....

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Dec 27, 2012

Hi Steve .. Welcome back!!  Thirteen is great.  Very powerful.  I like the space and simplicity of the guitar playing ... it lets the lyrics sink in ... which are very, very powerful.

DaddyRay .. sweet!  Love the chords around 0:12 to 0:14.  Keep posting videos, they're fun to see.

Hi Alex ... phrasing is beautiful.  I like the groove you fall into around 3:00 too.  

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Dec 27, 2012

Thanks Mike.....The idea is to get to a kind of Crescendo...I'm still workin on this tune....by the way....play classical music it's really useful when you go back and play some blues...Have you ever tried??? :))

Surly-Mac
Surly-Mac Dec 27, 2012

I'm just an old guy havin' fun with some blues harmonica...

daddyray (robbie)
daddyray (robbie) Dec 28, 2012

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close