Vinny
Vinny Jan 04, 2015

Th'is is Robert Johnson's "Love In Vain".  Vocally this is a bit out of my range right now, at least at this volume. There are two breaks in this, one is based on Robert Johnson's and the other is mine.  Easy to tell them apart though.

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Jan 05, 2015

Hi Vinny, Enjoyed both songs (and the dog also!) You have a very nice sound with what appears to be a fairly small guitar. Nice fat sound and good right hand style. cheers, Duke 

Bob Piscura
Bob Piscura Jan 05, 2015

Paul,Like Duke said!!!!! you've got chops MAN. I'm going to post this week, I want to do Keep our business to yourself BUT I need a good acoustic backing track. I have looked at lots on line but none are very good! BTW.... I'm working on JUKE now and could use a backing track for that too. The site is great and I appreciate hearing all of you perform.

Bob Piscura
Bob Piscura Jan 05, 2015

Vinny, This song sonds like Champaign and reefer, check it out! 

Bob Piscura
Bob Piscura Jan 05, 2015

Guitar players: how about helping out the Harmonica players and posting some backing tracks for us? Maybe our guru Mike can develop a tab just for backing tracks!  This could have us playing "virtually" with one of you guys!  A good start "for me" would be the track for juke and for Keep our business to yourself!   How about to guitarists?

Vinny
Vinny Jan 05, 2015

Duke - thanks so much for the kind remarks.  That's a 12 fret parlor guitar and it has a lot of volume for it's size. Also vintage specs and easier to play that older music.  I hope to get up a vid here doing some damage on an electric guitar; for which you will have only yourelf to blame.

Vinny
Vinny Jan 05, 2015

Bob - or maybe it's the other way around.  Beefsteak was recorded in 1970, Reefer in 1981.  I'm sure it's a derivative melody, but Thomas played it even slower than I do.  Even in his original field recordings.Waters admitted, when questioned, that he wrote songs based on melodies he had heard in other songs.  It was a common practice.  But I can't identify any use of that melody line prior to 1970.  It's interesting how different that melody line sounds played at such different tempos.

Vinny
Vinny Jan 05, 2015

Steve - beautiful guitar playing.  Classical piece on steel string guitar - great chops.  Nice to think of south of the border in those long winters. 

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Jan 05, 2015

Vinny, I like your version of love in vain.....it's not banal which is very easy in playin famous song like this...

about italian citizenship...yes here we have ius sanguinis..so if you can demonstrate your italian origins for sure you can ask for the citizenship...I wish we had your ius soli...imagine that my wife, eritrean citizenship, after more than 7 years of residence here in italy, paid taxes etc still have to wait only to ask citizenship to the authority at least 2 years...but this is another topic....

anyway if I can do something for you about it here is my email....alessandro.barbera1979@gmail.com....if you need more informations,I'm here...it's a pleasure :)

Vinny
Vinny Jan 05, 2015

Alex - thank you very much.  I have contact with an organization that does this for a fee.  They are both in Italy and the U.S.  I can prove my origins but if it is found that my great grand father naturalized, or naturalized before my grand father was born, then I would not qualify.  So that document I am going to try and acquire next month.  That is basically a certified document that states there is no record of his naturalization.  All the required documents have to be acquired with the correct certificaions in both languages, so it's a bit of a process. And you finally have to have an interview at the Embassy here.  Thanks for your email, I will send you a message with my email address. Will be nice to stay in contact.  Yes, Europe has gotten more restrictive now about citizenship, although you would think a wife would not be a problem.  That has to be difficult.

Dieter Hornemann
Dieter Hornemann Jan 06, 2015

I especially liked the documentary, House Party, Once again it showed where the Blues came from, It came from the Southern Black Americans and was at the center of their Parties which they called House Parties to be shared with all those friends who attended to enjoy each others company . Isn't that what we are still doing? Only now we are using a website to come together . And we are calling it Open mic, What we are really having is a House Party. We as Americans are big on tradition. It makes us who we are. Therefore why don't we respect and preserve the tradition of those who came before us, and passed this music onto us, and call this open mic session a "House Party", out of respect for those that gave us this music. The BLUES. American Tradition there ain't nothing like it.  Thanks vinny for posting the House Party documentary video.     Dieter Hornemann

tam reilly
tam reilly Jan 06, 2015

The sound you've got from that acoustic vinny is excellent. 

Vinny
Vinny Jan 06, 2015

Thanks Tam, I really appreciate that.  For the older music I like this guitar.  Parlor size but quite a lot of volume and good tone on the low end.  It can be pretty but it can be dirty and low down too.  Being a 12 fretter is a big factor in the sound, and a wider neck helps me a lot with the fingerstyle; 1 13/16ths. 

Harry Roullier
Harry Roullier Jan 08, 2015

This was the first Corey Harris song I ever heard. I am gateful to have him here ( hear)  :)

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Jan 08, 2015

Here's a short fingerpicking thing that I think I wrote. If I didn't actually write it, then I've forgotten where I learned it from. ;-) 

Vinny
Vinny Jan 08, 2015

It was four (4) degrees here in this old motorhome last night so I am not able to do the other video yet I wanted to.  Since there is not a huge amount of activity I thought I would post this older video that I have on YouTube because it's a bit unusual.  The song is a Skip James song, but I do it with a slide in a minor open tuning on a resonator.  I also had the opportunity to jam here with some great players, and it was too good an opportunity to pass up doing something a little jazzy and dark and different.  The bass player started out his career playing with Harry Belafonte. I like to let people do their thing and see what happens.  So you can tell me what you think.

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Jan 08, 2015

Vinny..maybe you will not believe but yesterday I was about to post cypress grove.....:D......as usual, very nice version of yours

Vinny
Vinny Jan 09, 2015

Hey - definitely post your version.  I'm anxious to hear it.

Ryan
Ryan Jan 10, 2015

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Jan 10, 2015

Hy Vinny and all,

this is my version of cypress grove. hope you like it. See you at the next open mic

Ciao

Alex (Italy)

Vinny
Vinny Jan 10, 2015

I thought that was great.  You really have captured the flow of that song.  You are developing your own style and making it your own.  I'm very impressed you were  able  to pick up this song, I don't remember ever seeing a breakdown of it. Bravo. I might try and put a couple more things on this weekend. 

Vinny
Vinny Jan 10, 2015

Bruce -- "...I think I wrote. If I didn't actually write it, then I've forgotten where I learned it from" That sounds like Led Zeppelin - that was their defense when they got sued by Willie Dixon for millions of dollars.  Nice job anyway. 

bencohen99
bencohen99 Jan 10, 2015

This is “Jimmy Bell” by William “Cat Iron” Carradine.  I learned this version at a blues camp last summer from country blues harmonica player Phil Wiggins – of the duo Cephas and Wiggins (John Cephas passed away in 2009).  Working with Jerry’s instructional techniques most definitely helped me to learn this song. 

tam reilly
tam reilly Jan 10, 2015

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Oct 01, 2015

Sounds great Tam. Duke

tam reilly
tam reilly Jan 10, 2015

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >