Mike Caren
Mike Caren Jun 13, 2013

Open Mic at Sonic Junction, June 28 - July 7 It's time for Open Mic! We're having our 3rd Sonic Junction Open Mic on June 28th. So start preparing -- you've got 2 weeks ...

Open Mic is a time to share your music with the Sonic Junction community. Post a video of yourself playing your favorite tune--it can be a song you wrote, something you learned here at Sonic Junction or elsewhere, or a tune you're enjoying at the moment. It's a great chance to share what's on your mind -- inspire and be inspired!

From June 21st to June 30, post your videos here.  

PLEASE WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY, JUNE 28th TO POST YOUR VIDEO.

And check back often to enjoy all the talent here at Sonic Junction.

Drop me an email or let me know via the Contact Us page if you have questions or need help editing or posting your video.

Looking forward to some good music!

Mike

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Jun 28, 2013

Hy All, I'm the first to post here...Hope that in this open mic there will be a lot of videos!!! This is a tune that I've been studyin in this days...Does anybody knows it??? singin and playin at the same time is really really hard!!!

Keep on bluesin

Alex

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Jun 28, 2013

Hello Everybody,

This is my arrangement of "Running Hidding" that i learned with Corey ! But i play it in open E. I've performed it twice in concert with my dobro but when i was working onFred McDowell Stuff with my SG, i decided to play the song with it and i liked the electric feel ;)

Hope you'll like it  and thanks to all the Sonic sunction team and all the teachers :) !!

Greetings

JD

@Alex Nice Song ! I don't know it, maybe another version of candyman ??

The links didn't work here it is :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGD5uDevrac&feature=youtu.be

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Jun 28, 2013

Jd nice arrangement and cool house by the way!!!...I can hear the influence of Corey...that solo is similar to Corey's solo in Sweet Home Chicago with Keb Mo but there's your print on it!!!

Mine should be another version of Candyman...but it's more similar to Eric Bibb's version. I prefer it. In rev Gary Davis there are too many notes and it's too complicate. Eric's version has less notes and it's more soulfoul...but it's mine opinion!!! :))

I wait for your next video!!! :))

Alex

Rich G
Rich G Jun 28, 2013

This is Everyday I Have the Blues played in second position on a D harp.  I am playing to the version that my friend Brian Lee (and the Orbiters band) did on their album "Falling Leaves."  You might also hear some unsolicted back up singing by my Brittany Spaniel, Mel.

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Jun 28, 2013

@Alex ... absolutely beautiful!!  You really created a feeling and space and took me on a journey.   It's really amazing how a great a player you have become!!

@JD ... you got the groove. I love the way you pop the fills in while keeping 100% of the groove.  Your tone reminded me a bit of Hound Dog Taylor.   You've really made the song your own which is very cool.

@Rich ... really nice.  You're control on the bends is very good.  It would be fun to hear a tune with your amp!

OK, I need to get to work on my tune.  I'm hoping to have two this time.  Thanks for inspiring me!

Rich G
Rich G Jun 28, 2013

Thanks Mike

SW Lowery
SW Lowery Jun 29, 2013

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Jun 29, 2013

Grazie Mike but the road to be considered a great player for me is still long...when I'll be able to play other kind of music and even compose something by myself we can start talk about it!!! :)))....Candy  is a beautifull tune...Once you start you can't stop playin it...by the way..I bought a new guitar! I'll post a new video soon! :))

I wait for your video!!!!

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Jun 30, 2013

It's still a little bit rusty and strings are too new wich give still a too bright sound..Played with my new parlour Tanglewood TW73 :D

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Jun 30, 2013

@Alex Nice sound !! What is this arrangement ? Sound like Keb Mo sometimes ? Do you have tabs ? My first bar of the solo is the same as Corey wich is the same as Taj Mahal in Strastboro blues wich maybe the same as someone else ;) But there's a lot of Corey licks in my version :p Thanks for the house too

@Rich G Nice tune, wish i could play with harmonica player here in Paris, we should make sonic junction meeting :)

@Mike thanks for the compliments ! I like Hound Dog rough playing and his licks "out of tune" with his slide it's like Thelonius Monnk in a kind of way !

@Lowery Your voice and playing are amazing !! Love you guitar sound ! You should come to France you'll have succes ! there's a rockabilly revival now :) Who's song is it ? Sometimes it sounds like Roy Orbison !!

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Jun 30, 2013

@Jd I've got tabs and video...it's the arrangement of Stefan Grossman of Mississippi Blues...it's a tune that I really dig...to play is difficoult, but to sing at least for me, is impossible!!!ahaahah...I'm sending you a message on fb!

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Jun 30, 2013

@Lowrey .. love it!  Great tone and rhythm. I love that intro riff and the bridge.

@Jeff .. beautiful.  You got my whole family to sing along!!  You have a beautiful voice.

@JD .. for Running and Hiding, I was thinking about Hound Dog Taylor's up-tempo energy and also guitar tone.  Yours is cleaner (and I actually like it better ... Hound Dog is a bit too dirty for me) ... but you both had that same mid-range voicing if that makes sense.

OK.  Here's my tune.  I call it Brazilian Cookin.  It's based on Duke's Cookin' for the head combined with some jazz chords I learned for a version of Summertime and a pickin' pattern that popped out when I was jamming with my son (on drums).  

Rich G
Rich G Jun 30, 2013

Very nice Mike

DenisF
DenisF Jul 01, 2013

DenisF
DenisF Jul 01, 2013

A Mystery Train direct from a small village of France...Bonjour Monsieur Portnoy et encore Merci... 

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Jul 01, 2013

@what a nice arrangement Mike!!! :))

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Jul 04, 2013

@Alex ... second tune sounds great!  I love the bridge and and turnaround riff at 2:07.  The harmonies of the tune are really nice.  Glad you enjoyed Brazilian Cookin ... I have fun with it.

@Denis ... WOW!  You should post more videos.  It's really fun to see all you have learned and also all you have created yourself with Mystery Train.  I really like your tone and phrasing too.  

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Jul 04, 2013

@mike Nice tune and feeling is good ! 

@denis it's Nice to have a compatriote hère ;-) where are you from hope we can play one Day ! Your friands is really good too !! 

DenisF
DenisF Jul 04, 2013

@Mike...Thanks for your encouragements who come from the Mystery train country!!

@JD... I come from the east part of France (Metz)Merci, pour ton écoute,and I like too your guitar playing!!Salut...

Tom
Tom Jul 04, 2013

I like Mike caren's dual camera technique. I never would have thought of that...!

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Jul 04, 2013

@Peter ... love it.  You're a genius.  The birds are great and "cosmic" ringing in the background of the solo is really nice.  

stevieboy
stevieboy Jul 05, 2013

Spent my Fourth of July evening doing this from scratch.  Pro Tools, Korg Wave Drum with sticks and a couple of guitar tracks.

Elmore James, Hawaiian Boogie No. 2!  Can't get more American than that!

Andrey Mikhaylin
Andrey Mikhaylin Jul 05, 2013

Hy everybody, it's my first post here.This is my arrangement of Can't Help Faling In Love

Keep on blues!

JD Seem

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close