Tom M.
Tom M. Jun 23, 2014

Greetings all,

I just signed up and am really eager to start. 

Maybe it's good to introduce myself.

I really dig of this kind of music [Afro(-American)] and I always say it has chosen me and not the other way around. Being a white European guy this may be odd but it seems like it was always there and the music I loved (even as a child) always had black roots.

I started playing guitar at the age of 17 and since then it goes on and of. Played guitar in a Chicago blues band (early Little Walter & the Aces configuration - 2 guitars, drums and harp/vocal). After that I quit playing music for some time (desillution + went back to school).

3 years ago I decide it was about time I learned to play the guitar in a proper way, so I got myself an acoustic and grew calluses on my right hand was well.

I really hope to get a better understanding of the deeper groove in this music and make my right hand as laidback as possible.

Big shout out and bless you

Tom.

ps.: I'll add a video-recording 

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Jun 24, 2014

Hi Tom --- beautiful playing.  You have great thumb / picking independence.

I agree that the groove and phrasing is the key.  I like to think of it as the difference between playing notes and making music.

Great to have you a part of Sonic Junction and looking forward to seeing your videos as you take lessons!

Tom M.
Tom M. Jun 24, 2014

Thank you Mike,

The previews of the lessons look very promissing. Looking forward to it.

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Jul 16, 2014

Greetings Tom.  You have a nice tone on the guitar and your rhythm is solid.  Sounds good...what is the song?  Thanks for posting.

Tom M.
Tom M. Jul 16, 2014

Hi Corey,

Tnx for the tone-comment. I always strive for tone...

The song is a personal interpretation and simplification of the marvelous Blind Blake tune Chump Man Blues (in dropped D)

Harry Roullier
Harry Roullier Aug 02, 2014

Just signed up ( last year ) kind of. I have been playing guitar for about 40 years now. Most of that was electric. about 15 years ago I startd with acoustic blues. My weakness has always been alternating bass. I just couldn't get it. That is until I tried the lesson for baby please don't go. after just 2 days I got it, mostly. I am stil working on it about twice a day for 30-60 minutes each time. I just don't know how to thank you. You are not just a talented player, you are also a great teacher! I went out and got a camera so I can try to post something up. Computers are my other weakness. Once again THANK YOU.  keep up the good work! In the picture of my profile thats me leaning up against the wall, I ran into you in New Orleans when I dropped my national off at Steves house of Vintage guitars to get a Highlander put in. I had heard your songs and was working on Sweet black angel. I didn't know it was you until I got the Midnight and Day CD... small world.

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Aug 13, 2014

@ Harry Roullier...thanks I am glad that the lessons are working out for you.  Yes the alternating bass is not easy at first but soon it will be second nature.  Thanks for listening to the music all these years.

Tom Hartley
Tom Hartley Feb 02, 2016

Corey,

Looking forward to seeing you & the band at N.O. Jazzfest this year! 

Thursday, April 28 

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Feb 24, 2016

Yes...we are too!  Honor

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?