Steve Lauder
Steve Lauder Oct 16, 2017

I am curious to know what other members are using to record their videos for uploading to SJ. I have been with SJ for a few years. I have used a USB mic without success.

I am currently using a logitek camera with a usb interface for the audio - a focusrite scarlet 6i6. I have not been happy with the control I have over the audio levels.  I have discussed my goals with Focusrite (scarlet) and admittedly my options are limited. I can mix the scarlet so that the browser feed (backing track) from SJ is mixed with my guitar. They coin this a "skype mix". But, there is no control over the levels. The backing track over powers my guitar. 

I am back to routing the SJ backing track to a separate amp while i play along with it using another amp. I use a single mic to pick up both amps. This seems messy. And the levels are again hit and miss but better than the "skype mix". 

I am using a cardiod Sennheiser e840. I was told it is uni directional and I should be using something more omni or or bi directional to pick up the two amps.

You can check out my video's on Dukes lessons. 

What are you using? 

Marty Perry
Marty Perry Dec 27, 2017

Hi Steve,

This week marks my first attempt and merging audio and video from two sources and then editing them into a completed video. I've still got a lot to learn but I think it's going to be my way forward.

I'm running a Mac. For the audio I use an Apogee Jam into Garageband. For the video I just use the built in camera in my mac recording though the Photo Booth app. You can checkout my latest go at this on the "If I Had You" Soloing lesson. I recorded my own rhythm backing track and then did a solo over it. I export the video into a .mov file and then export the audio from GarageBand into an mp3. I import those into iMovie, sync up the two and edit (trim) the start and finish. I then export the finished video into a .mov file that I can upload to SJ.

I also have an audio capture app (Audio Hijack) that I use to capture Duke's backing tracks as mp3 files. I can then import them into Garageband and play along with them. The benefit is that I can mix levels in Garageband, do silent recording and have a full range of amps and effects models to pick from. 

It sounds complicated but once you do it a few times it goes together pretty quick. After messing around with a bunch of other methods this one seems to work the best for me and as a bonus all of the apps I use are free  or come with the mac (other than the audio interface) so if you have a mac it's affordable. I'm sure there are similar (or better) options on a PC based system. 

Regards, Marty
Steve Lauder
Steve Lauder Dec 27, 2017

Thanks Marty

As you say, it sounds messy. But, i'll take your word for it. I have ordered a looper. It will come in handy for creating backing tracks and practicing over various chord progressions. I am currently studying the CAGED method for blues guitarist outside of SJ.  It is really helping me get out of the blues box. It would be great if there were lessons here on the topic. So, not sure when I'll be back to SJ, but it is a valuable tool. 

Cheers

Steve

Marty Perry
Marty Perry Dec 27, 2017

Yeah, I'll be continuing to work on a simpler more integrated solution. It is a bit of a hack and not for the faint of heart ;) Your looper solution sounds like a good plan.

Your immersion in CAGED sounds interesting. Have fun.

Marty
Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Jan 31, 2021

Hey Everyone, I want to thank you for posting your videos of my lessons. I think its important to share there with each other and I personally love to see the progress and differnt approaches from everyone. Keep up the good word and keep these videos coming! Duke

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Jan 31, 2021

Hey Everyone, I want to thank you for posting your videos of my lessons. I think its important to share there with each other and I personally love to see the progress and different approaches from everyone. Keep up the good word and keep these videos coming! Duke

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close