Vinny
Vinny Jan 10, 2016

Okay, finally got a good enough internet connection to get a low res video uploaded tonight.  I have a few more, I'll see if I can get them up here.  This is a song by Leroy Carr called "Texas Mobile Line."  I have not been able to find an original recording of this song by Carr; if anyone can turn me onto one, please do.  He often recorded with Scrapper Blackwell.  This is based on an older record by Tom Rush.  Played in Open G - Spanish Tuning.

I updated this link to a higher quality video - sound should be okay now.

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Jan 12, 2016

Very Nice Vinny. I was a Tom Rush fan in my younger days. Unfortunately the track started skipping about half way through. Duke

Vinny
Vinny Jan 12, 2016

Younger days?  You can remember them?  Sorry about the track - I now have some decent internet - I'm going to upload some higher quality versions of these. Thanks for the comments though.

Vinny
Vinny Jan 10, 2016

This is a J.J. Cale song called "The Breeze."  I've never heard an acoustic version of this song, let alone a slide-resonator version, but the song seemed to lend itself to this kind of treatment. Something different, with a very country feel.  Played in Open G-Spanish Tuning on Steel Duolian.

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Jan 12, 2016

Another nice one Vinny! Duke

Vinny
Vinny Jan 11, 2016

I enjoy a lot of the very old music, and these two are a couple of my favorites: "St. James Infirmary" and "House of the Rising Sun."  They are both in Am and are played with a similar picking style.  Due to weather my voice is rather gravelly at the moment, but that sort of suits these songs so I thought I would give them a go here.  

harvey kail
harvey kail Jan 11, 2016

This is my wind-storm rendition of Rick's "Sonneyboy's Groove."  I sort of tear through it and let the the branches and limbs scatter everywhere!.  In fact, winds in Maine last night were gusting to 50 mph, tearing down some big limbs in this part of town and knocking our power out.  I didn't want to miss the Open Mic (!), so I came out to the musical practice rooms at the local university where the power is on to run my laptop. Sorry I forgot to even take off my coat!  

Thanks Rick. Thanks to everyone at Sonic junction for providing great access to blues harmonica with great players and teachers likes Jerry Portnoy, Rick Estrin and Dennis Greunling.

Harvey

Kurtis
Kurtis Jan 11, 2016

"Catbird"

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Jan 19, 2016

Sweet --- I like the chords and groove.

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Jan 20, 2016

Nice uke playing Kurtis.. Duke

Kurtis
Kurtis Jan 21, 2016

Thanks guys! I appreciate the compliments.

harvey kail
harvey kail Jan 13, 2016

SonnyBoy's Groove, at last. Pshew!

Rick Estrin
Rick Estrin Jan 14, 2016

Real good job on this, Harvey! You're nailing the full bend on the 3rd hole draw and you have the recurring tag phrase at the end of each verse down! The only advice I'd offer right now would be, try to listen for the half-step bends on the 3rd hole. Sometimes you're substituting the pure, unbent 3 draw in spots where the note needs to be bent a half step to give you that more bluesy, flat 3rd. Overall though, you're doing great!

harvey kail
harvey kail Jan 14, 2016

Thanks for generous comments and useful suggestion, Rick.  I'll listen harder for that half-step bend on the three draw.  I'm having a blast!

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Jan 20, 2016

I just saw this wonderful video that someone made to look like Bettie Page was dancing (completely "G" rated, I assure you!) to Slim Harpo doing "My Baby, She's Got It." I found it inspiring. ;-)

andre Loiselle
andre Loiselle Oct 02, 2016

Sonnyboy s Groove 

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free