Mike Caren
Mike Caren Jan 03, 2014

NEW DATES --- Open Mic at Sonic Junction, Feb 14th - Feb 24th

It's time for Open Mic!

We're having our 5th Sonic Junction Open Mic on Feb 14th. 

Open Mic is a time to share your music with the Sonic Junction community. Post a video of yourself playing your favorite tune--it can be a song you wrote, something you learned here at Sonic Junction or elsewhere, or a tune you're enjoying at the moment. It's a great chance to share what's on your mind -- inspire and be inspired!

From Feb 14th to Feb 24th, post your videos here.

PLEASE WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY, Feb 14th TO POST YOUR VIDEO.

We decided to wait an extra 2 weeks so we could have replies to video posts in the Forum.  This will allow us to better organize Open Mic by keeping all of the comments with their respective videos.  

Drop me an email or let me know via the Contact Us page if you have questions or need help editing or posting your video.

Looking forward to some good music!

Mike

Smoke House Elevens
Smoke House Elevens Feb 22, 2014

Hi all...Smokehouse here from the UK!

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Mar 07, 2014

Hi Smoke House, Very nice version of Catfish Blues there. good feeling and singing also! Duke

Sunny Ali Yenen
Sunny Ali Yenen Feb 14, 2014

This was my first time trying to record something, Thanks to my buddy Steve I learnded a lot and I believe I got a hang of it. Rhythm was not in sync, boy it was difficult.

Please leave some comments!!

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Feb 14, 2014

what a great voice and song!!....I can hear what you talkin about sync...but you're very very close!! I miei complimenti!!!! 

Ciao

Alex (Italy)

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Feb 14, 2014

Wow ! very professionnel you singer have a nice voice and your tone is really nice ! i like it !

Sunny Ali Yenen

Thank you for your comments! This is a song from Imelda May by the way

Vocals are from Emine Şahin

Greeting from Ankara/Turkey

JD Krooks Crouhy

Hey nice to hear from Ankara, i wish to go to Turkey one day i'm from France it's not so far :) One of my jazz teacher Phillipe Poussard gave jazz lesson in Istambul. I say that just in case : the world so little nowaday ;) See you on SJ

JD

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Feb 14, 2014

Beautiful !!  Nice groove --- vocals are fantastic and I like how everything comes together --- guitar, bass, piano & drums.  Piano is really nice.

Julian Easten
Julian Easten Feb 17, 2014

THis is a vey cool recording! Really enjoying it.

Doug hargrave
Doug hargrave Feb 18, 2014

Just a great job on that. Very tasteful vocals, piano And guitar. Can I ask what chords you are playing.

Duke Robillard

Hi Sunny, Very nice rendition of the song! The rhythm is very close and good feeling with it. Nice vocal also. I've played in Ankara several years ago. Keep up the good work! Duke

Alex Barbera

Hy all,

recently I've been workin on this tune...Hope you enjoy it!!!

JD Krooks Crouhy

Nice one it's Lightnin arrangement ! nice to hear you again Alex :) !

Alex Barbera

Yes you're right...it's Lightinin arrangement...recently I've been listening quite a lot of his music...I can undestand where Stevie Ray Vaughan music come from...:)

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Feb 14, 2014

Awesome Alex!!  Guitar playing is great and I like how your vocals are getting deeper --- both in tone and feel.  I also like how your working the call and response between your singing and the guitar --- i.e. the song is moving & churning.

Duke Robillard

Hi Alex, Nice version of this classic. Enjoyed it very much. Duke

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Mar 08, 2014

Thank you Duke....I do appreciate it! :))

JD Krooks Crouhy

Alex Barbera

Wiiii..Jd...nice work..and even singin it's so much better!! there's only a thing I would suggest.....eat more omelette and crepes suzette!!!! you look thinner!!!! :DDD

Or come here to Bologna...I'm a great chef! :D.there's Lasagne or Tagliatelle alla Bolognese....but the "original" ones!!! 

Alex Barbera

Peter when you write...."Blues is truely of the World"...you can't even imagine how much I agree you..I could even fight for this concept! :DDD

JD Krooks Crouhy

@Alex you're right i lost weight and start sport again, i'll wait to be in Italia for the pasta ;) Thanks for the singin :) i'm not really happy because i can nose my nose closed by the cold.

@Peter Thanks for the compliment  :)my reso is a Gretsch Honey Dipper a really good and cheap one ! The Cone is handmade. I love the Gretsch collection, i've tried other models and i may buy a spider one (mine is a biscuit). The only problem it's the size (16inch) and only 12frets : some says it's better for the sound but less confortable to play.

My strings are Martin Bronze (really rush sound) and my Slide is handmade by Willie's slide (slide4659 on ebay). It's in Cobalt and i love the glass sound it's the best for me but it's quite heavy. Willie makes cheap slide and you can say the size and you have a mojo bag too. They're also baptize in a lake by a reverend friend of him ;)

Thanks for the accent compliment it's funny :p

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Feb 14, 2014

Beautiful tone and light touch!!  Ahh --- I'm jealous.  I really like how you are enjoying playing and singing the tune.  Phrasing is real nice too.  Nice rake at 2:15.  The way you mix up the timing of the lines really makes it "alive" for me.

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Feb 15, 2014

Thanks Mike :) ! I like to rake sometimes, i did some on kind hearted woman. It wake up everybody and add a little bit of rythm. i wait for you vdo :)

JD Krooks Crouhy

As usual i take to post to speak after my video... This is a short version of Can't Be satisfied. I would have had more time to work on it but i go tomorrow on vacation and came back after the end of the open mic... My voice wasn't strong too because i had a flu and i still was a little sick. But that the game :) hope you'l enjoy !

JD

Sunny Ali Yenen

Very neat playing, love it! I can never use my thumb like that :)

JD Krooks Crouhy

Two years and half of hard work and one tendinitis ;) Thanks for your words :)

Tony Obroni
Tony Obroni Feb 15, 2014

Hi everyone,

just wanted to say hello! I lurking around here using a guest account for quite some while now, but I living in Ghana comes with some Internet challenges... this might be remedied soon, however, so that I can fully join. Tempted by the nice playing showcased here, I hereby post my take on Freddi King's/Sonny Thompson's "Hideaway" as I learned it from German Blues guitarist Norbert Roschauer (he arranged it for Fingerstyle guitar and obviously it should be played on an acoustic guitar which I don't have)... just posted it somewher else but felt it fits better here, if you don't agree because I'm still not a full member, please don't hate, just throw me out - will join asap ;)

Greetings,

T.

Kurtis
Kurtis Feb 17, 2014

Nice. Also, that one spot where you switched it up that reminds me of what I know as Peter Gunn theme song...is that right?

Tony Obroni
Tony Obroni Feb 18, 2014

Hi Kurtis!

Thanks for your Feedback, it's much appreciated! Yes, you're right about the Peter Gunn theme song ;)

Greetings,

Tony

Tony Obroni
Tony Obroni Feb 23, 2014

Okay, this is bad, and the man himself would have probably throw his Whiskey bottle after me (after first finishing, of course) - but that's how I play it right now, and I atleast throw in some funny faces here and there...

Vinny
Vinny Feb 15, 2014

I am still ensconced in this "classic" motorhome, getting more classic by the minute as I am getting more "vintage."  Been in a freeze here and it's close quarters so I cannot play loudly.  Tricky being as expressive as one wants to be at such subtle volume but here goes anyway.  I'm having a problem uploading large files here so this is very low res.

This first video is actually a pre-blues song by Leadbelly that I have always loved, called "In the Pines."  It dramatizes a dilemma facing a young black woman who has lost her husband in an accident working in one of the many travelling railroad work camps that littered the American landscape for a hundred years.  These camps employed laborers, but also skilled workers and even the camp bosses ("Cap'n") and their families as well.  The camps moved with the tracks and were frequently far from anyone's home, or even civilization and accidents were common; both in the camps themselves and out on the tracks.  The song is about a young woman whose husband has been killed and finds herself homeless but for a proposition from the Cap'n.  It's a tale of her resistence to coercion.  The socio-economic context of the song has long been forgotten and so I think it is not very well understood and rarely sung.  It is a difficult song to do as it is really a "call and answer" and I have always thought it should be done as a duet, although I have never heard it done as a duet.  There is reference to a "driving wheel", which was the largest wheel on a locomotive and carried the power of the steam engine to the tracks.  This wheel frequently collected debris, animal and even human body parts.  Cap'ns in these camps had virtually life and death authority over their employees.  There is an old work song that has a great lyric about a roustabout who has to wake up the laborers every day by slamming a crow bar against their bunks and screaming at them: "When I hollar, you want to fight.  But when the Cap'n hollars, you say 'all right.'" 

Vinny
Vinny Feb 15, 2014

This is a Bukka White inspired version of Fixin to Die - played on an old  Gibson 12 string strung with only nine strings, with a vintage  De Armond pickup run through a small Roland Acoustic amp.  I am a Big Joe Williams fan and have always thought I could try and emulate his style (nine strings) by using a 12 string and only using 9 strings.  I finally found a photo of him late in his career actually playing a 12 string with only 9 strings so I thought, maybe that wasn't too crazy an idea.  This guitar's frets and action are not in very good shape so I had to lighten up on the strings a bit, thus the pickup and amp.  So this is a Big Joe Williams setup but I'm playing  Bukka White.  Usually play this on a reso but wanted to see how this sounded.

Duke Robillard

Vinny - Nice versions of both of these tunes. I like the tremelo on Hideaway also good work. Duke

Vinny
Vinny Feb 15, 2014

This is a sort of contemporary country blues style version of the traditional Cocaine Blues - and done "tongue-in-cheek" so to speak. That means,since everybody here is a very upstanding clean living individual and don't know anything about drugs, you will not understand any of the jokes.  About half the lyrics are original, the rest traditional with a couple credited to Dave Van Ronk who sort of inspired this version.

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Mar 08, 2014

hI Vinny, Nice version of Cocaine! enjoyed your guitar playing and singing and those are some interesting additional verses! Fun stuff. Keep up the good work! Duke

Vinny
Vinny Mar 28, 2014

Duke - have been on the road and missed your comments - thanks very much for your positive words - I will probably do a more traditional version of cocaine blues at some point but I already do a lot of dark material and I was a bit inspired by Dave  Van Ronk who authored a couple of lines here and got big laughs with them.  Guitar licks are very simple but just sort of fell into place as something one could both sing - and talk along - with.  Toungue in cheek aspect takes live audiences off guard and I have good success with it.  Sort of breaks things up between songs like "Goin Down Slow" and "Fixin to Die" -- my normal repertoire.  Hope to have some electric stuff on for the next go round.  My heart goes out to you about your hand - I have had a number of serious injuries to my hands, wrists and elbows and it has hampered my guitar playing a great deal over the years and can be challening to deal with.  Your lessons have continued to be fantastic as always though.

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Feb 15, 2014

@JD and Mike....thanks for the compliments....I'm tryin to work more on singing too and I'm enjoyin playin with two fingers only!!!

@Peter....I'm serious....you've got a lot of creativity..I'll wait for the next chapter and the rendition of gee baby is modern but respectfull of the origanal too...the thing that I like most...

Alex Barbera

@Vinny..where are you now!!?!?!?nice to see your videos and read your post...It's rare to know real troubadours!!!!

I like your version of "in the pines"...there's some flamenco feeling in it!

I fortunately don't know much about drugs...just herb..if it can be considered a drug..what you mean about the jokes in cocaine blues??? Just a few examples...I don't know much about the song...It sounds like a person that had problems with cocaine and suggest others to avoid use of it! I mean...gary davis version

Vinny
Vinny Feb 15, 2014

Peter - I like this - very Kurt Weill - lots of tension - the performance combined with the selection of graphics creates a subtle tension.  I'm always drawn to things like this - very creative.

Vinny
Vinny Feb 15, 2014

Alex - nice playing and singing - you get more confident and expressive with every video.  Thanks for the comment on the Leadbelly song.  You know I don't play flamenco but I love it - very dramatic and percussive and a lot of similarities to early Delta styles in that respect. 

That comment about "not getting the jokes" - that was actually a joke in itself.  In the US where Cocaine has been a phenomenon since the beginning of the last century and even earlier, if you play in a bar people usually do get the jokes.  Cocaine was actually legal here until the 20's, and was even an ingredient in the original Coca Cola and lots of other consumer products.  Doctors used it too - very popular medicine - it always made you feel better for a while and you always wanted more.  It was always a notorious substance as addicts become impervious to it's damaging effects and are not discouraged from continuing to rely on it.  It is taken through the nose and can cause irrepairable damage to the sinuses and mucous membrane.  Even Muddy Waters had a song called Reefer and Champagne, where he sang "give me reefer and champagne - but NO cocaine. 

There was a highly publicized epidemic in the 70's and 80's with the invention of "crack" - a highly concentrated version of the drug.  Gary Davis' version of course is dark, because the drug always had a dark reputation even when it's use was not widespread.  I wanted to do something different.  Dave Van Ronk was a student of Gary Davis, and when he sang that lyric "my mucous membrane is just a memory" he got a huge laugh in clubs in New York.  Cocaine was in wide scale use in New York even in the 60's.  Gary Davis actually stopped playing the song and eventually he stopped playing all blues and ragtime and only played spiritual songs.  So the song is satirical, about a guy who keeps rationalizing his way out of misery, poverty, disability and imminent death to keep taking the drug. I don't think there is much familiarity with cocaine in Europe.  At the height of the modern epidemic It was the drug of choice for the rich and famous as well as the rich and not so famous - and the income of plastic surgeons soared as a result of all the damage done to the nasal passages.  Cocaine is literally a drug used by gamblers to make race horses run faster. 

I am right now in between Austin and Houston Texas - sort of meandering looking for a place to relocate, but I want to get the feel of some places before I decide where to relocate.  I was in Austin and played a few places there but they had an unprecedented freeze in the weather and the city shut down and it became impractical to hang out.  I'm riding the weather out at the moment - and today is actually the first
sunny tolerable day in weeks.  Houston, though looks like a very good place for traditional blues -- home of Lightnin Hopkins - and lots of support to musicians from bar and club owners.  But I might meander to New Orleans and beyond.  I don't know.  I left California too soon though - it's been warm there - but I wanted to be here in the Spring. 

Alex Barbera

Vinny..it's always really interesting to read your posts..

As far as I've heard Cocaine here in Italy at least, its becoming cheaper and cheaper...but the main problem is alcol and sinthetic drugs I think...

I hope to read a book with all your travels and memories, then!!! seems like you've got an incredible amount of experiences to share!

Grazie

Alex

Alex Barbera

and by the way...I took my guitar and started again play this tune...may fav is Keith Richards cocaine blues...:)

Vinny
Vinny Feb 15, 2014

JD -- nice playing -- very clean - I admire that - I am not in a very clean phase these days myself but I still appreciate it.  That looks like a very nice action because I don't notice you having to do an extraordinary amount of damping.  I will have to take a look at the Gretsch resos I haven't seen one.  But I like the tone.  Yes I have a 12 fretter too -- they are great for big sound and older material really -- if you want to play this or other Muddy Waters era stuff it is a bit easier on a 14 fretter. But for the older material the 12 fretter I think has the bolder vintage sound.  But you do such a good job one does not really notice any handicap there. 

Tom
Tom Feb 16, 2014

Vinny... You cannot beat the sound quality of the Gibson J-45 for accoustic blues work with any other guitar, but those thinge go for $2,000.00 and up...!

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Feb 23, 2014

Thanks Vinny, i play clean because i used to play this song in electric and muting all the strings because with the overdrive and the humbucker of my electric guitar, if you don't mute you can't hear clearly what i play. So i think i play cleaner on the dobro now ;)

I like your songs a lot too and you historical story !! The idea of the 9 strings is really cool too :) 

See you on next open mic :)

Alex Barbera

Here's another video....a classic blues in A....I like Eric Bibb version! :)

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Feb 17, 2014

Thanks Ray..we have a thing in common then...the 8th of March I'll see Eric again....for the 5th time!! Imagine that he remembers me and my friends....

I learned this song slowing down it with audacity, lookin at his videos and even looking at some people play the tune...watching the position of their hands... there's a lot of people that demonstrate how to play goin down slow which is very similar to Don't Let Nobady Drag your spirit down.....and even check this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh03Yo3PbjU   ;  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ_zYT9YvvU...

it's in drop d tuning....DADGBE...but he usually tunes the guitar half step down..

I hope to be helpfull

Ciao

Alex

Duke Robillard

Hey Alex, Really enjoyed your version of "Going Down Slow"! Great classic blues. Have you ever heard it by Saint Loius Jimmy Oden? He wrote it and has one of most unique voices I have ever heard in the blues. Thanks for posting your version, Duke

Alex Barbera

Duke...I've just heard it...classy!!! Actually this is not my version...I've first listened Eric Bibb's version and I've tried to follow it....I could steal some licks of St Louis and put it in this version so that I can do my version,too! :)) thanks for the info!!!

Roger
Roger Feb 15, 2014

A little run through on a Charlie Christian tune for y'all. I am obviously in need of a lot of lessons from Duke Robillard!

Duke Robillard

Hi Roger, sounds great, you definately have the right idea and feel. It's not that easy to play like Charlie Christian! I've heard that he played all downstrokes when he soloed. That can be very hard to do! I certainly can't do that. We make up our sound by whatever we can do. Of course lots of practice helps! Very nice try at playing with the guy who, along with T-Bone Walker, popularized the electric guitar. And you know, 70 plus years later you STILL can't beat either one of them in my opinion. Duke    

Tj
Tj Feb 15, 2014

Greetings from Philadelphia...i wrote this at breakfast the other day when we lost power; this song took me only ten minutes to write, but ten years to live

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Feb 16, 2014

Tj...only 10 minutes!?!!?  Great!!! And what you mean with...when we lost power!?!? Sorry, in these days I'm not living in this planet Earth..Do you mean politics?!!?

About the song I can hear the influence of Blind Blake in your guitar style...I'd like to read the lyrics of this songs because I can't get most of them as I am from Italy....if you don't mind, off course!! :))

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Feb 23, 2014

Really nice C blues !! A lot of good licks ! And nice voice too, i'm sorry i can't understand everything but it sounds good :)

Tj
Tj Feb 23, 2014

Thanks for the kind words guys! I have a tendency to mumble but it's not my fault...I grew up watching Rocky my whole life

Vinny
Vinny Feb 16, 2014

Alex - yes the big thing here appears to be meth and coming fast heroin which is its way into maintstream all-American neighborhoods and communities.  In my travels I have heard that all the traditional moonshiners (mountain stills making home made liqour) are now making meth.  I have spoken to a lot of older motorhome vagabonds too who are looking for a place to build a house and retire and they can't find any place that is free of drug trafficing.  Recently a young relative died of a heroin overdose who could only be described as the All American Boy - went no place but school, church and played sports for his short life, in what can only be described as a very conservative community.  By the way, nice Blues in A. 

Vinny
Vinny Feb 16, 2014

TJ - my sympathies.   I have lived long enough to see the full circle of this higher education marketing campaign.  In my day we had a lot of PhD's who were driving cabs.  They don't tell you that if you have a PhD in British History that there are about five teaching jobs a year that open up in the entire country and about 30,000 applicants.  The educational loan system started as part of the defense budget, to help prevent a "brain drain" during the Cold War.  But now it's become a means for colleges and universities to market an endless array of useless degrees at higher and higher tuitions.  On the other hand, every plumber I know has a nice truck.  There are so few good jobs out there now for young people it is not only discouraging but frightening to think about their futures.  Here's a tip for you though -- due to the advancement in technology (that's what they call it) they are now finding that at current crude oil prices a lot of old oil wells are gold mines.  In Midland Texas, San Antonion, Texas and North Dakota - there is a legitimate "BOOM" -- people are going there from all over the country to work in the oil fields - of all ages. In Midland they are paying fifteen dollars an hour at McDonalds and Walmart.  This opportunitity comes along about once or twice every thirty years.  You can sleep in a van and pay off your loans in a year there.  Also, learn some skills you can take with you that always pay good wages.  You will have to be creative and get out and see the world as it is and sieze the opportunities that are there.  It's scary really - all the young people I do see working, are working jobs that have poor benefits, no pensions, mediocre pay and they spend all the money they do make on cell phones and fast food with no eye to the future at all.  I grew up with the promise that you could actually get a good job and keep it and retire.  That is now like a faint echo from pre-history.  But I do believe it is possible to get off the grid - live independently and on the cheap and save most of the money you can make.  I believe in education, but as an example, if you read the letters and diaries of Civil War soldiers on both sides, you will find they all had a better command of the English language and history and better writing skills and broader vocabulary than today's average college graduate - and none of them did anything more than attend a one room country school possibly through the fifth or sixth grade.  There is an old Scottish saying that every man needs a job, a hobby and a sport.  I think most higher education today falls in the category of hobby. 

Vinny
Vinny Feb 16, 2014

Alex - I see another guitar in the background - looks interesting - what is it?

Tom
Tom Feb 16, 2014

Alex Barbera knows... The Gibson J-45 is easily the BEST accoustic guitar for blues work ever, but do they cost...?!

Tom
Tom Feb 17, 2014

Heads Up...??? ...

The fact of the matter is... Guitars sound best when the wood used for the TOP is thin. Most high quality professional classical guitars are made with very thin tops that can be easly steamed off and replaced if they crack or warp. Now, those old Sears sold mail order Kalamazoos and Stellas were probably made with thinner tops than what is mass produced today for shipping purposes and durability. Today's Gibson J-45s have rather thin tops, but they are reinforced with an excellenty designed ribbing system. The TOP of the guitar is like the cone of a speaker so naturally thinness is desirable from a sound quality point of view but undesirable for shipping, durability and warranteeing reasons. Consider the plunky sound of a banjo and how much better the banjo projects its sound.They should design accoustic guitars today such that replacing a warped or split thin top can be a simple routine maintenance issue and not a major headache, we'd all have superb sounding accoustical guitars then... The Sears Kalamazoo was made with the same jigs as today's J-45 but special for Sears and that's what the old time Mississippi "Head Cutters" like Johnny Shines and Robert Johnson had access to and could afford. A little history lesson there... (((BIG SMILE)))

Alex Barbera

@Vinny and Tom....that guitar is an epiphone el 00...I would really love to have a J45..and it's true..is very good also for blues even if I prefer old gibson L00 or L1 and the reissues are nice too..it depends..as every guitar is product per se..then same model, woods etc but one can sound better than another...the thing that I really can't stand is the price this gibson guitars have nowdays..people like old bluesman played this guitar as they were the cheapest...Robert Johnson loved Stella and Kalamazoo...I love Kalamazoo...let's not consider inflation...but I think that guitars could cost the nowdays kind of 100/150$? In a guitar shop hear in Bologna you could buy a J45 for 1500 euros....

my epiphone is cheap and it's a fair one....solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides...laminate.....and it's good to learn...with this nowdays gibson it's "easy" to have a nice sound...with this epiphone you have to discover a lot of things..Corey played my guitar in his concert here in Sardinia and it sounded beautifull! See what I mean?? ;)

While the guitar I'm using in the video is a lovely Tanglewood parlour guitar....al solid wood...cedar top, mahogany backs and sides...it's well refined and it's really good for blues and even better for fingerpickin in general...I'm curious to listen how it wills sound next 10 years! In fact when you buy a guitar is important to take in consideration how it sounds now and how it will sound next years! 

Vinny
Vinny Feb 17, 2014

A vintage Kalamazoo in good condition is also pricey and you cannot buy them for $150.  The only difference between a Kalamazoo and a Gibson is they don't have a truss rod or ornamental add-ons, but they were essentially made-by Gibson guitars.  And an original Stella would be very expensive if you could find one too.  I have a friend who owns a music store in California and he says you buy a new guitar for your children because it's not going to really sound good for 30 years.  You can't beat quality aged tone woods. You can always repair an old guitar but you can't age a new guitar.  But the Tanglewood sounds great and is a very good value.  If the neck has had a professional reset, a vintage Kalamazoo in good condition costs about the same as a Gibson OO.  Now that even pawn shops sell on Ebay, it's hard to find a good deal anymore even in a pawn shop. Although in Michigan you can find lots of old Kalamazoo instruments, guitars, mandolins, banjos, in barn sales and yard sales. 

Alex Barbera

Vinny...surely I expressed bad myself....I meant that in the 20s this kind of guitars were very cheap..I've heard something like 15 dollars..which I consider nowdays 150 dollars....

Surely Nowdays they're really expensive........I think for the same reason  a violin stradivari aged 300yrs is so expensive and value....

Tom
Tom Feb 17, 2014

Well... your guitar is still made from the same jigs as a J-45. My guess is that the old cheap guitars that were ordered from mail order catalogues in Mississippi in the old days probably were made from the same basic jigs too... There is just no better sounding accoustic guitar for blues playing than that one. Lightnin' Hophins and Johnny Shines both used them. Are you in Balognia...? My grandfather was born in Colladimezzo, Abruzzo. Immigratet to Ellis Island in 1880.

Alex Barbera

Tom, I've just posted a video with the epiphone! Yes I like a lot the sound of that gibson...Yes I'm in Bologna....but quite far from Abruzzo!!! So your roots are italian too!!! :) And do you speak also italian??

Tom
Tom Feb 17, 2014

Only English.

Google and YouTube this name: "Johnny Shines"... you'll be glad you did.

Alex Barbera

just found this.....thanks Tom 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OimUc6kp8l8

Tom
Tom Feb 17, 2014

And... while you're at it look up "Homesick James"... Y'might as well...

Alex Barbera

This is my favourite robert Johnson's song...I like especially the lyrics...for me,this is the best description of what is the blues

It has passed a lot of time since I've played it..so I'm not at my best...but it used to be one of the song people liked more in my gigs! :)

Hope you like it! 

Duke Robillard

Wow Alex, That was great! Really great guitar playing and you really evoked RJs spirit there. I'm really impressed. When my hand is healed i'm going to pull out my acoustic and start practicing acoustic blues again! Great guitar sound. I had a L-OO and foolishly let it go. I'll never be able to afford another one of those! Duke   

Alex Barbera

Duke I am honored by your words. Read them gave me great satisfaction. I remember that people remained impressed when I played this tune in my concerts. I always liked it because inside there is so much of the blues. It makes me realize how Robert felt when he had the blues and I understand him. Also it happened to me to feel this way. Perhaps it is for this reason that Preachin Blues (Up jumped the devil) is one of his songs that I play better! I hope your hand is healing quickly. For a guitarist it must to be a bad hit! At least for me it would be! Take care of yourself! Hello Alex

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close