Mike Caren
Mike Caren Feb 08, 2013

We're very pleased to announce that Corey has released a new album:  FULTON BLUES

Fulton Blues is a collection of both original and classic material that celebrates the timeless sound of traditional blues with fresh, insightful lyrics that paint an unflinching picture of life in the American South, both then and now.

created at: 02/08/2013

To celebrate the release of Fulton Blues, we wanted to give you Corey's fans here at Sonic Junction an inside perspective on his creative process:

- Corey's personal video sharing the story and inspiration for this album
   - 2 tracks from the album, chosen by Corey
   - a special opportunity to talk to Corey about this work

Fulton Blues

Black Woman Gates 

You can pick up your copy of the album at:

iTunes:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fulton-blues/id597139276

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Fulton-Blues/dp/B00B6N1PK4/

We know you'll be blown away by this album, just as we were.  Be sure to pick up a copy.

And feel free to ask Corey questions and share your thoughts here.

Biscuit Mike
Biscuit Mike Feb 12, 2013

Wonderful blend of songs.

I just got thru downloading from itunes!

P.S.

Who's the harp player backing you up?

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Feb 12, 2013

Great Album !! Mixed blues stye and I love it ! I'm still listening deep into it ! You can buy it while closing your eyes (i don't know the right expression ;)) ! The things is when you bought it on amazon you don't have the credits. Maybe the harmonicist is Phil Wiggins ?

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Feb 13, 2013

Jd the harmonicist is Hook Herrera....Here they are in this nice and confidential picture!!! :DD

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Feb 14, 2013

Thanks for the info Allessandro :)

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Feb 14, 2013

You're welcome french cousin!!!!! :)))

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Feb 20, 2013

@biscuit mic...thanks for the kind words and thanks for buying the music!  Hook Hererra is also a great singer and guitarist...check him out if you havent already.  thanks everybody for the support.  BLESS

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Feb 27, 2013

Corey....sorry....what do you mean for Black Woman Gate!?!?!!??

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Feb 28, 2013

@Alex...gates is another way of saying door (gate is what you walk through when you enter a yard at someone's house).  So the song is talking about traveling to see a woman at her house.

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Mar 02, 2013

@Corey..Nice... and Tallahatchie is a place, isn't it? Would be nice to have some lyrics...

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Mar 12, 2013

Hi Corey .. I love your singing and playing on the album.  

Was there ever a time when you were tentative with your singing?  If so, how did you break through it?

I'm asking as your vocals just seem to come from such a deep place ... and I would love to get my singing 1/10 of the way there.  Thanks!

daddyray (robbie)
daddyray (robbie) Mar 12, 2013

thanks for sharing this stuff with us.....the hotel room (I am gonna assume by the decor) playing is terrific. 

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Mar 13, 2013

@Mike...yes there was a time when I was feeling tentative with my singing.  I just sang as often as I could and listened to myself singing.  Gradually over time I would edit out the things that I did not like about my singing and added what inspired me.  It was really a long process of trial and error, always being willing to change things up.  So sing as often as you can, and when you do, give it your all without inhibitions.  Then listen honestly to yourself and ask if YOU are moved by what you are singing.  If it moves you, it will move someone else.  If you are not really moved by what you are doing, be willing to change constantly until you do something that does move you.

Corey Harris

@daddyray...Thanks for checking out the video and I am glad that you like it.

Corey Harris

@alex...Tallahatchie is a river in Mississippi that runs through many towns including Money, Mississippi, the hometown of Sonny Boy Williamson and also where Emmit Till was murdered back in 1955.  The song is about the murder.

Corey Harris

@Mike...another note about vocals is that when you sing make sure that you are singing from your belly (diaphragm) and not just from your throat or chest.  Draw your breath from your belly and your voice will sound deeper.  Also do not sing with your mouth totally open but rather partly open.  In this way your head will resonate and amplify your singing.

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Mar 14, 2013

@Corey...grazie.....In Blck Rag I can hear the influence of Blind boy fuller.....:)

for the advices on singin...I take them too as I would really like to improve....I don't really like my voice...To me it's anonymous..For istance .It doesn't have much vibrato but I think I have a problem of havin ear for singin,too...don't know if there's this expression in English...in Italian it's like..."avere orecchio per il canto"....Through the years I improved a lot...at the beginning I used to sing with the throat and after a while it started to hurt me...now I'm doin it with the belly but also with the head and many times with the nose...having that really bad sound...and another problem for me and JD too is also pronounciation...exspecially with vowels and H aspired...which is a sound that we dont' have in Italian and French....Would be really usefull to know more about singin... 

Brian Kinder
Brian Kinder Apr 11, 2013

Corey, the album artwork alone is brilliant, I know the music is too.  Very nice.  Is that someones artwork or an altered photograph?

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close