Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Jan 15, 2013

Hy all,

any suggestions about good ways to train our nice ears?!?!?! a part from listen songs and try to reproduce them :)

jean-sebastien gauthier

I suggest practice to ear the intervals, a web site like this can help http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer

Like I said in a previous post, I also practice with a drone note to ear interval playing a scale over it. For exemple let ring your low E and play E major scale on the D string.

I also like to take a saxophone riff (I really like Louis Jordan and Eddie Cleanhead Vinson for that) and to copy it, phrase by phrase.

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Jan 17, 2013

thank you Jean :)

Larry "The Iceman"
Larry "The Iceman" Feb 23, 2014

Ear training is a subtle and long term endeavor. It has to start slow and builds upon itself.

Do not try to strain your ears to hear the intervals. Rather, relax, lean back and let the music come to you without trying to grab it. It's like letting go in order to finally hold it...sorta zen like.

For most, it becomes a matter of learning how to listen more quickly over time. Increasing the speed of your listening comprehension is not much different from learning how to play your instrument more quickly. A good example is if you own a slow down program that slows down the idea you are trying to learn. As you get more adept at hearing the intervals, you do not need to slow down the phrases as much in order to learn them.

My favorite ear training program is by David L. Burge and is the interval training one, not the perfect pitch one. It took me about a year to finish all the lessons, but was well worth it in the long run.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close