Mike Caren
Mike Caren Apr 20, 2012

You can often get good ideas by listening to OTHER instruments (like BB and Louis Jordan ... Buzz Me).  What OTHER instruments and Artists do you get ideas and inspiration from?

daddyray (robbie)
daddyray (robbie) Apr 20, 2012

Any good music played by good musicians...Trombone alto sax trumpet and harp lines translate to guitar well. hearing breathing patterns helped me learn to phrase better...I grew up with two jazz drummer brothers so I get a lot of rhythmic ideas via drumming. We listened to a lot of Zappa too....I have taken a lot of half step slide into the note ideas from piano lines. Oragn chords for the lower thirds below the root note. Bass lines for propulsion and articulation. I am a very very big music collector and have been since I was a small boy. Lee Morgan Fred Welsey Art Blakey Jerry Portnoy(!!) Stuff Smith, Vic Dickenson, Wayne Shorter, Jaco, Bootsy,...the end is listless...If I can steal it  to use it I will! 

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Apr 20, 2012

My main instrument for inspiration is the saxophone.  My favorite players are Bird, Buster Smith, Lester Young, Sonny Rollins, Dexter Gordon.  I also get a lot of inspiration from the ngoni...players like Cheick Hamala Diabate and Bassekou Kouyate.  

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Apr 22, 2012

I'd Like to play guitar as a drum....djembe preferibly :)

Dave Gray
Dave Gray Apr 22, 2012

It's always pianists in my case-- Bill Evans especially, because the piano is a chordal instrumant like the guitar-- we can only play six notes at a time, they're good for ten--  past that I rate Drummers--  then Bassists,--  come to think of it I would trade a hundred guitarists for one drummer anyday-- Cheers to all, David

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Apr 27, 2012

Anybody on any instrument who plays something that I like and can transfer to the harmonica, whether it be piano lines or horn lines, guitar licks or even section riffs from the big bands like Count Basie. R&B sax players can be a treasure trove - guys like Louis Jordan, Red Prysock, Gator Tail Jackson, Joe Houston etc. My advice - borrow from the best!

Boyd R
Boyd R May 25, 2012

Jerry is very good AND EXCELLENT in Teaching.I've learnt alot  on His C D S. His train song was great, and Juke very good.

But I'm not very happy in the tunes being played, There  very great tunes he could play. For me poor tunes.

Rich G
Rich G May 25, 2012

Everyone has his personal likes and dislikes.  For me, the choice of songs for lessons has been great - Sonny Boy I, Little Walter, Sonny Boy II, a little Jimmy Reed, and so on.  There are certainly many other great songs he could teach us, but there has been a logical progression in the lessons that I have found very helpful.  Again, there is no right or wrong, but for me the sequence of lessons and choice of songs and artists has been right on.  Rich

Boyd R
Boyd R May 26, 2012

Jerry is very good harmonica player and for me I would say as good as Little Walter are Big Walter, I learnt alot

from His three cds. and more from Sonic Juction.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close