Pierre Sjöholm
Pierre Sjöholm Oct 09, 2013

Hi Duke!

Big Fan here, I started 2 years ago trying to play real blues

and not with a whole lotta distortion.

I like players like you, jimmie vaughan, Zach Zunis, Kid Ramos, well to many to mention :)

How do I setup my amps for those T-Birds early strat tones

Jimmie Vaughan, You and Kid Bangham had? 

This is drivin me crazy, the tone always sound clean but dirty and I just can't to seem to dial in 

that tone. the song cookin you recorded together is a good stamp on what I am talking about.. :)

I only play strats so thats a good start :)  and my amps are a Fender Blues Junior III

and I also have a Tweed Vibrolux Replica 1x10 with bigger Iron in it for cleaner breakup

I have had Tweed Bassman/Bandmaster and Super Reverbs but to me they always was to loud

for the venues I play.. 15-20w seems more appropriate to get the amp to work harder at a decent level

I am tired of this quest but I do like the tone so much I want to be able to get it :)

I really enjoy your lessons, great stuff, I will try to upload a video of me playin soon

Best Regards 

Pierre Sjöholm

terryguitar
terryguitar Oct 13, 2013

I read somewhere (or saw it on utube) that jimmie vaughan uses tapewound strings. Also a lot of the time he uses his fingers (right hand haha). The thing that makes Duke, Jimmie, BB king, Kid Ramos, Junior watson great is that they can put out a great tone whatever gear they use.

Cheers Terry

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Feb 19, 2014

Pierre, One suggestion I could make is to raise your pickups higher on the treble side to get more output and better tone. also lower the bass side of the pickups. its not a measurement thing, more a fool with it until it sounds good to you. That amy help. Always remember 90% of the sound is in your hands! 

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close