Mike Caren
Mike Caren Aug 30, 2016

Open Mic - starting Sep 23 to Oct 3

Open Mic is a time to share your music with the Sonic Junction community. Post a video of yourself playing your favorite tune -- it can be a song you wrote, something you learned here at Sonic Junction or elsewhere, or a tune you're enjoying at the moment. Check out the videos from our past open mic's to get ideas.  

http://www.sonicjunction.com/forums/9-general-discussion/topics/452-open-mic-dec-31st-to-jan-11th

http://www.sonicjunction.com/forums/9-general-discussion/topics/397-open-mic-dec-31st-to-jan-11th

It's a great chance to share what's on your mind -- inspire and be inspired!

From Sep 23 to Oct 3, post your videos here and check back often to enjoy all the talent here at Sonic Junction!

PLEASE WAIT until Friday, Sep 23 to post your video.

Drop me an email or let me know via the Contact Us page if you have questions or need help editing/posting your video.

Looking forward to some good music!

Mike

christophe
christophe Sep 25, 2016

Vinny
Vinny Dec 24, 2016

Totally missed this. Never got an email notification.  It's usually later in the year.

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 23, 2016

Hey SJ folks! Here's my (first) contribution towards the open mic. It's the old Comden-Green song "Some Other Time". I'm going with my gut and trying not to worry about technical perfection. Hope you like it! Best, Bruce

Gustavo
Gustavo Sep 23, 2016

beautiful interpretation

Guitar Dave
Guitar Dave Sep 23, 2016

Our fellow students,   I 've watched Bruce's enjoyable guitar uploads for over a year,  then POW!  he's on piano,  great stuff Bruce

tam reilly
tam reilly Sep 23, 2016

lovely playing

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 23, 2016

Thanks guys and especially Guitar Dave! Nice to hear! 

Lee Eisenstein
Lee Eisenstein Sep 24, 2016

Your gut's got a whole lot of soul, emotion and expression.  Wonderful.

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 24, 2016

Thank you, Lee, for the very kind words!

I had a "gig from hell" on piano about a dozen years ago that really did a number on my self-confidence. This older musician, quite an excellent saxophone player actually, took a dislike to me and spent the entire evening trying to screw me up on stage, and he did quite a good job of it. He kept yelling stuff into my ear *during my solos* like "NO, NO, NO, you've got it all wrong!" and "You have no soul, no soul at all!! No wonder it can't come out your fingers!!"

By the end of the evening, he had defeated me. He had convinced me that I had no soul or musical feeling and I've not done much gigging since then. However, as I have gotten older, I have come to appreciate the joy of being home in the evening with my wife and just listening to music on the phonograph. :-) 

So I'm very thankful for the encouraging words from my peers here at SJ; it really means a lot. Looking forward to seeing more videos from everyone! If you haven't ever sent in a video -- listen, I know it's tough. However making these videos has been the single biggest contribution towards my improvement on guitar and building (or re-building on piano) my confidence and ease. Thanks again. Now, down off the soapbox and back to the guitar room for practice! 

Lee Eisenstein

You've got it, now.  Every hear the expression, "Your feelings are none of my business".  It can be useful, from time to time!  Keep doing what you are doing.  You have soul, expression and musicality.   Thanks for posting your music and look forward to hearing more!  Alooooooha!

tam reilly
tam reilly Sep 23, 2016

Gustavo
Gustavo Sep 23, 2016

what a groove

very good

Guitar Dave
Guitar Dave Sep 23, 2016

Tam,  Nice flow, great new tone. Welcome to SJ.

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 23, 2016

Really nice. Very groovy!

Gustavo
Gustavo Sep 23, 2016

swingin lucy mae, solo performance

duke robillard lesson

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 23, 2016

Spectacular! Great playing, I really enjoyed it. 

Guitar Dave
Guitar Dave Sep 23, 2016

I agree Bruce D.,,,,,  life time of study,  well worth the effort.  great work.

tam reilly
tam reilly Sep 23, 2016

tasty playing

Lee Eisenstein

Beautiful and soulful playing!

patrick casey
patrick casey Sep 25, 2016

very nice!

Guitar Dave
Guitar Dave Sep 23, 2016

Hi SJ's students,  Me learning my 9th chord fills and my friend on harp

tam reilly
tam reilly Sep 23, 2016

sounding good dave

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 23, 2016

Cool stuff!

Lee Eisenstein

Yeah!

Lee Eisenstein

Here's the classic hit song, Mr. Blue, by the Fleetwoods.

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 24, 2016

A very pretty rendition of a song that I've always loved!

Lee Eisenstein

Mahalo, (thank you), in Hawaiian!  Yes, it's really an atmospheric, timeless, song.

fred
fred Sep 24, 2016

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 24, 2016

Here's another contribution. This is an audio recording that I made in 2001 with me on keys. We were forming a blues band a rehearsing in Van Nuys. The guy playing lead guitar and singer (super good, by the way) is named Kevin Bolick. Kevin is still playing: https://www.facebook.com/Kevin-Bolick-Music-231275360308523/

Shortly after I finished mixing our four song demo, Kevin called me up and said he was out of money and moving back to North Carolina. He had come to LA with enough money to last him only a few months. At the time, I thought it was a shame, because we sounded good together. But you know, bands come and go, I thought. It's only in the last few years that I listen to it and really appreciate how well we were playing together. 

Listen to how Kevin and I are phrasing together on the verses (me on keys, him on guitar). I don't think we ever talked about it. We shared a lot of musical influences and immediately seemed to know how to play together. We're still on very good terms, though on opposite sides of the country (both physically and politically) so this may be our last musical project together. But who knows what tomorrow may bring?

Anyway, here's the song, called "Too Much Of A Good Thing". Enjoy it; Kevin is a monster player and singer. 

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 24, 2016

Ands here's something I just recorded a few minutes ago. Decidedly non-blues, this is my version of Simon & Garfunkel's "America". We have a neighborhood thanksgiving every year, and they've asked my wife and me to play some songs after we eat. So I've been working on this one, since most older people (like me) know it. 

Tom
Tom Sep 24, 2016

bob
bob Sep 24, 2016

This is my January, 2012 cover of a strange but beautiful song about Mary, mother of Jesus, written and performed by the great Patty Griffin from her 1998 album Flaming Red. To me the song is about Mary and maybe all mothers everywhere. It's one of my favorite songs. On this cover, I sang and played electric guitar and my friend Bruce played piano. The drum track was from the Zoom MRS 1040 recorder.

tam reilly
tam reilly Sep 24, 2016

Guitar Dave
Guitar Dave Sep 25, 2016

Guitar and Harmonica Blues,

Wow...  very talented uploads this year!  We'll I'm here to lower the standards (lol)  and take you back to the" King Biscuit Flour Hour"  1947 with Joe Willie Wilkens on guitar (me, thanks Duke!) and Sonny Boy Williamson on harp (my talented friend, thanks Dennis Gruenlig lessons)   Darn, I'm still need to unlearn the pentatonic ending.      Recorder is a ZoomH2.

enjoy, G Dave

Lee Eisenstein
Lee Eisenstein Sep 25, 2016

Here's the classic Spanish piece, "Leyenda", played for some friends in Puna, Hawaii. 

David V Hernandez
David V Hernandez Sep 25, 2016

https://www.facebook.com/DGBLUESINC/posts/1499502577019207

Gustavo
Gustavo Sep 26, 2016

yess the blues

Lee Eisenstein
Lee Eisenstein Sep 25, 2016

Concerto For Guitar And Orchestra, bt Antonio Vivaldi. 

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 25, 2016

Very impressive!

Lee Eisenstein
Lee Eisenstein Sep 29, 2016

Mahalo, (thanks!).

Guitar Dave
Guitar Dave Sep 27, 2016

Blues Guitar and Harmonica,  Little Walter's  "Juke"

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 28, 2016

Nice!

David V Hernandez
David V Hernandez Sep 28, 2016

You have some mean chops, very nice .👍🏻

Gustavo
Gustavo Sep 28, 2016

I love studying blues, and Joe Pass is one of the best for solo guitar. here is an intro from "blues for basie"

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 28, 2016

Wonderful!

tam reilly
tam reilly Sep 28, 2016

excellent playing 

David V Hernandez

Nice guitar playing!😎

Tony Westlake
Tony Westlake Sep 28, 2016

David V Hernandez

Tony, Nice job Harp and vocals right on!😎👍🏻

harvey kail
harvey kail Oct 01, 2016

Really enjoyed listening to this quiet virtuosity.  Nice job!

Tom
Tom Sep 28, 2016

David V Hernandez
David V Hernandez Sep 29, 2016

Nicly done, keeping the groove on time!😎

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 29, 2016

Here's one of Duke's old lessons revisited. 

Gustavo
Gustavo Sep 30, 2016

great. nice playing

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 29, 2016

The Outskirts Of Town, hopefully reminiscient of Freddy King. 

Gustavo
Gustavo Sep 30, 2016

yeahh. you have the blues

David V Hernandez
David V Hernandez Sep 29, 2016

Closed my eyes and I heard Fredy and Albert King! Nice Job.😎

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 29, 2016

Hey, thanks a lot, David! We can dream on, can't we? :-) Thanks again, I really appreciate the kind words. 

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Sep 30, 2016

Thank you, Gustavo!

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free