Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Nov 16, 2014

I wanted to say that those who've never uploaded an audio or video, there really are some hidden benefits from doing it. You can get feedback from some of the best players in the world, and you know *that* can't be bad. But that should be obvious.

And of course it gives feedback to the teacher; they can better gague how their message is getting across.

One of the things I get from it is that I have to actually learn to play stuff a level beyond just playing good enough to play along with the lessons. And don't get me wrong, I get a LOT from that. But when you record it, you start expecting a bit more from yourself. And you learn a heck of a lot through the process of whipping it in to shape.

Yeah, it's scary. And frustrating. And hard. And sometimes feels embarassing. But after watching Duke Robillard be able to make a mistake on video and stop and say, "Oh, I made a mistake there", I felt a little less nervous about 1) being human and 2) not being perfect. 

So for me, even though I dread doing it (I really do) I don't feel like I've really finished a lesson until doing a recording of it. It kind of feels like turning in an exam, but I'm really anxious to see what great I get. And when Duke says "Great job!" -- it feels like getting a Grammy! ;-)

Harry Roullier
Harry Roullier Nov 19, 2014

When I first started here I had no intentions of uploading a video. I have learned a great deal just from watching myself on the videos,  even If I thought I had it right, Corey pointed some things out to me I should have noticed and didn't. There is a great deal to be learned from uploading videos.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close