Maurizio
Maurizio Oct 24, 2013

Hi Corey! I'm new in Sonic Junction... I see a lot of lessons have been already released, where should I start?

Mauri

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Nov 04, 2013

Hello Maurizio,

i wouldn't answer for Corey but the greatest thing for me is to interact with Corey and have his feedback !So i suggest you to start the old lesson he'll tell you but also post simply thing on the lesson we're working now to have a good feedback. You can just post a simply alternate bass on the Diddie wah diddy lesson of this month and you'l have Corey advice on your groove and progress and that's priceless.

See you soon

JD

Maurizio
Maurizio Nov 04, 2013

Thank you very much for the good advice!

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Nov 04, 2013

Yes and the best things is making hundred takes to post a video ! my record is 43 takes to post a lesson !! but it's part of the process to record your work :)

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Nov 05, 2013

Hy Maurizio,

welcome here. nice to have another italian! :) I agree with JD...and I'd recommend Special Rider Blues. You will have a lot of fun and even if you miss a note, well, as it is such a beautifull tuning, it will always turn out well. 

Just one more question...how did you find the website?!?!?

Maurizio
Maurizio Nov 06, 2013

Sei italiano Alex?

I've been listening to Corey and Jerry's music since a long time ago

and even attended their gigs in Italy, I also read a lot about Duke in the past in the Buscadero magazine...

and sadly missed his show last year

so just looking on the net about their upcoming shows i went thorogh the Sonic Junction Project

and since I ever dreamed about learning the blues from one of my guitar heroes

i didn't miss the chance,.. I'm planning to learn harp o armonica too...

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Nov 06, 2013

Yes..I'm Italian, from Sardinia and I live in Bologna...:)

We're quite a good number here from Italy but I'm the only one that post...I'd like to have more people fro italy show they're progress. I think that in our country we have a lot of talented blues players like Paolo Bonfanti and less known but really remarkable like Emanuele Sintoni. This internation dimension that the blues is reaching thrue the years is really interesting. I hope to see a your video very soon. don't care very much about the quality..we're very easy here and one of the most nice things to see for me is the progress that we're doing. In 1 year and a half I improved a lot with the help of Corey and the others players too. 

Insomma si è creato un buon gruppo...e come diciamo a Sassari..."a futti dinni" (fregatene) se tutte le note non sono al punto giusto..siamo qua per imparare e divertirci!!!

A presto

Ale

Maurizio
Maurizio Nov 06, 2013

Grazie Mille Alex questo è lo spirito con cui affronto lo studio del blues anche perhcè  il basso dei pezzi di Corey

metterebbe alla prova chiunque ...! Quindi bisogna essere positivi e sotto a studiare !!

Se sei di Bologna cerca di andare a vedere Egidio Ingala il suo chitarrista

Marco Gisfredi è un altra grande realtà del blues nostrano, dai un occhio sul Tube, ...ok basta parlare Italiano 

all the best 

Alex Barbera
Alex Barbera Nov 06, 2013

eh hai detto bene...il basso di corey....:) Grazie per i consigli 

A presto

Ciao

Ale

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Dec 15, 2013

Greetings Maurizio - Try starting with  Catfish Blues and then Everybody Got to Change Sometime.  These are both simple blues songs in common keys.  Welcome!

Tony Obroni
Tony Obroni Feb 18, 2014

Hey Corey,

I trust you're doing well.

Kindly note this text is partly copied and pasted from your lessons site which I deleted after failing to upload my first try in tackling the the main riff of "Catfish Blues" (and thereby stupidly wasting my 2 guest lesson - posted something successully in "Open Mic", though). Please let me say that I not only enjoyed your performance very much, but I also think this is a great lesson (those two things don't come in a package all too often, I guess)...

Although I applied for a guest account quite a while ago I didn't really have the oportunity to take a closer look on the site and how it actually works. Living in Ghana is great, but comes with some challenges in terms of Internet connectivity. However, I have solved my Internet issues for this month at least, so here I am. I read through your "Where to start! quick tipps, and I really like the idea to take time when progressing through the lessons and not to tackle more than one song per month (also because this leaves time to spend on other areas of guitar playing than building up repertoire). What I don't get, though, is where to best start: Am I suposed to go through the songs in a particular order (e.g. from key to key/easy to hard/technique to technique etc.) or is it up to each's personal taste? And are you okay if one's also working on other topics while learning those songs?

I surely look forward to get thaught by you and Duke and learn  how to handle the guitar. Hope to get some Feedback from you soon!

BTW, when will you visit West Africa again, any plans already?

Greetings,

Tony

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Feb 19, 2014

@Tony O....greetings and thanks for your message.  I think the best place to start is where you feel most comffortable.  Maybe try a simple song like Runnin and Hiding or .44 blues.  It really up to you though.  Just browse and see what speaks to you and then go from there.  You are in the driver's seat so do what works best for you!! Full-joy Ghana...one day I will make the trod there.  Thanks for posting!

Tony Obroni
Tony Obroni Feb 20, 2014

Thanks for the clarification, Corey. I'll give Catfish Blues a try and post my take later, so I'll aso get a clue whether the recording/uploading process works well... Enjoy your day, greetings, T.

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Feb 19, 2014

@Maurizio...how is it going?

Maurizio
Maurizio Feb 19, 2014

Hi Corey, thank you for your interest

to be honest I'm having problems with the independence of the thumb
I'm exercising a lot but with few results, I find almost all the songs very difficult, already from the beginning, because of the fact that I'm not used to play two things at the same time... I was about to give up because in two months I'm still working on the first two lessons with poor results

it's like I need some exercises that can get me ' closer ' to the parts of the song before starting to work on it

any suggestion ?

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Dec 30, 2015

We have put up a couple of videos on fundamentals that I hope will be helpful to you.  I understand that it can be challenging.  Please look them over and let me know.  Thanks

Geoff King
Geoff King Dec 08, 2015

Hi Corey, I've just signed up from hearing a couple of your songs and wanting to play like that!

I've been on and off self teaching myself over the years but i'm quite new to this style of blues. I just love the sound and am really excited to learn from your videos.
I am in a very similar situation to Maurizio, trying to pick up the muscle memeroy bass line.

Apart from starting with Catfish Blues and then Everybody Got to Change Sometime, are there any videos here starting at a fundamentals of blue playing level? Or would you suggest jumping to learning from the songs?

Thanks for making me dust of my guitar! :)

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Dec 17, 2015

Greetings Geoff and thanks for signing up and welcome.  Actually we will be adding some videos that will focus on fundamentals.  As of now that info is found throughout the lesson series.  So please stay tuned.  Since you are new to the style I think it is best to begin learning songs first...this will help you learn the language and how the riffs and rhythms go together.  I find that when we learn just riffs and licks outside of learning a whole song it takes us a lot longer to play.  That being said, some songs really demand our patience; sometimes it is best to take small bites and chew them very well, if you know what I mean.  Take it steady and slow and work with the basics, which are rhythm, tempo and melody.  Always focus on the rhythm and what the bass line is first.  This is your foundation upon which you will build your song.  Really, a lot of this work is listening...not only to yourself but to the parts of the song you want to learn.  Identify the bass line, learn the rhythm and tempo...listen to the target song a million times and then a million more.  Pick it apart with your ears.  I hope this helps.  Thanks again.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close