Craig Dickerson
Craig Dickerson Feb 13, 2013

Hi Corey!  i just bought a resonator because your lessons with slide guitar inspired me so much that i now play slide all the time...and i prefer this open E major tuning...but i keep hearing from others that this tuning is very bad for a guitar, what with all of the tension on the strings...what do you think about this?  i know open D is the same thing only one step down, but i don't like playing in open D so much, it's not the pitch for me.  what do you recommend doing?  also, congratulations on the new album...i've been listening to your albums a lot lately...i'm living in germany now, but i'm from south carolina, so your albums in one sense are like a slice of home for me...i remember working in the tobacco fields in 100 degree weather, and listening to my grandpa's friends play blues on their front porches.  good memories...and i feel all of that again when i hear your albums...thanks, and take care!

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Feb 20, 2013

@craig...greetings and thanks for your comments, and sharing your memories.  about playing in open E, I been doing it for almost twenty years and I have never had a problem.  the strings will break long before your guitar, so I just learned over the years to play with a lighter touch.  like you, i don't really dig open d since the pitch is a little too low.  but i think that most guitars, if they are made well, can withstand having the strings tuned to a higher pitch.  glad to hear that you got yourself a resonator and playing slide all the time...all the best.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close