JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Nov 30, 2012

Hello Corey,

first i want you to know it's a great honor to learn with you, i know your work since a long time and can't believe i can interract with you !!

My first question is about thumb pick and finger pick, i don't see you using them on sonicjunction video ?  But i know you use them sometimes. Do you prefer the sound without them ? Do you advise us to play with them ?

It's still difficult for me to use thumb and fingerpick and i'm only using them with slide but not in regular playing like Blake or John Hurt. I know Johnny Shines, Lighnin HOpkins and Robert Johnson use them but i don't like the sound even if it's stronger... And you can't slap the string with them... ? So i'd like to have your advise about thumbpick and fingerpick :)

And my last question is about string gauge, can you tell me your gauge in regular tuning, open G and D ? 

Hope thoses question won't bother you.

Kepp on going for those lesson it's really fantastic !!

Greetings from France

Jean-Denis

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Dec 05, 2012

@JDY...thanks.  I think each player has their own way of using thumb and finger picks, so it is really up to you and what feels comfortable to you.  For me, I only use thumb and finger picks when playing National guitar.  I can play the strings with more force and dig into the strings better.  I started doing this when i was playing on the streets in New Orleans and I found that metal finger picks (Jim Dunlop brand) gave me the volume I needed to be heard over all the sounds that were on the street.  If I didn't use them I found that people couldn't hear me as much.  I don't use finger picks when I play slide on my other guitars.  But all these choices are really up to you.  There is no rule, so feel free to experiment with what works for you.  I use light gauge strings always....  Thanks for your question.

JD Krooks Crouhy
JD Krooks Crouhy Dec 05, 2012

Thanks for your answer ! Same for me i have not enough sound on the resonator without it plus i'm in 16-56 for open G and D.

I  wanted your advice because some people says it's better with it, so i want a real player and artist advice :)

I've never play fingerpinckin in public yet. It's a new technique for me, i've alway play with mic and amps. I make a micro in front of the dobro to play with a band and that was OK, 

I'll stay with my thumb and finger for the standard tuning. It's warmer for me and i prefer :) If it make no sound problem for blues that's cool !

Maybe old blues man use fingerpicks to play in club without amplification but maybe they prefered warm sound and when they have the habits to play with fingerpicks they keep them to play electric like Lightnin Hopkins... Or maybe not...

Thanks for your answer Corey !

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close