Mike Caren
Mike Caren Apr 02, 2012

Hi Corey,

What's in your mind when you play?  Do you see scales, hear notes, have a feeling, totally let go?  

Thanks!

Corey Harris
Corey Harris May 04, 2012

I think of circles when I play.

Mike Caren
Mike Caren May 04, 2012

Really ... what do you mean by that?  

I realize this may be a bit of an odd question ... but it's something I think about a lot as I think there are some important insights into understanding what's in the mind of Artist like yourself when he or she is playing.

For instance, for the longest time, I imagined scale patterns on the fretboard and ran up and down them ... which in hindsight, is probably totally wrong ... yet a natural thing for a visual engineer like me to do.  It's like I was writing sentences with random words.

Corey Harris
Corey Harris May 05, 2012

@mike...I imagine a circle turning in a clockwise direction and that keeps me on the one. I don't try to think about scales and chords, just like I don't think about grammar or vocabulary when I speak. 

Mike Caren
Mike Caren May 18, 2012

@Corey ... Thanks!  That makes a lot of sense.  I like your analogy about not thinking about grammar or vocabulary when you speak.  

It's interesting in that the more I learn from you, Duke and Jerry ... the more convinced I am that I learned music the wrong way ... i.e. thinking of scales, tab, patterns etc.  Unfortunately, I think most people learn music the wrong way.

One thing I'm also noticiing by learning from you is that I'm starting to pick up little accents / phrasing's that you play ... which is again like language ... i.e. if I was in Ireland, Alabama, England, Boston Chicago or California ... the way I would speak English would be different.  I would be saying almost all the same words, but how I speak (my tone and phrasing) would be different.

Thanks!

@Jeff .. yeah, it's always good to know where you're going.  I need to do that more!

Corey Harris
Corey Harris Jun 06, 2012

@Mike...you welcome.  Music is a universal language, it's true.  I learned the wrong way too...still trying to get it right.  The more I live and play I realize that its just about the twelve notes in the scale and rhythms.  Thanks.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close