Tom
Tom Oct 21, 2013

I'm having trouble trying to get the Major/Minor pentatonic variable in my head as a blues player. I get it, sorta, but I can't seem to make it work and sound like the pros do. I wanna sound like the proverbial "seasoned" blues players.

Any chance that you might give us a lesson on that...?

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Apr 30, 2014

Hi Tom, But I need to understand a bit better what you mean. Maybe you could show me in a video or pick a song that includes the type of playing you are speaking of? Thanks,Duke

chuck gillis
chuck gillis Mar 11, 2014

I think it was BB King that said "if you haven't lived the blues, you can't play it" or words to that effect.  I am working on this months lesson, The Song has ended, and as Paul says, Dukes love of blues shines through in the solo.  I can play the notes (first four bars) but can't get it to sound like the recording.  Hopefully with time and practise it's will come.

Tom
Tom Apr 26, 2014

Yeah... but, Albert King said: "Every body one day  t'another have the blues... y'see the little baby layin' there in the baby bed... can't get that milk bottle fast enuff..."

Duke Robillard

Hi Chuck, Paying attention to the differences in sublties of picking, bends, vibrato etc is my best advice for your question. Take one aspect of it at a time when you practice. Thanks, Duke  

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Mar 12, 2014

Sure Tom, I will put that on my list. Generally, for me, I find it best to use a song to demonstrate things. Is there a song that is there a good example of the kind od pentatonic riffs you are thinking of? Duke  

Duke Robillard

Chuck, Watch how Paul plays it and try to play light and smooth. There is a certain type of fluidity to this type of swinging style that is unlike blues or rock technique. It's more concentration on the notes you are playing than vibrato or a hard attack. Hopes that helps a bit. duke

Duke Robillard

As always, I recomend heavy listening to the masters you want to emulate as much as possible to get those sounds in your head. As I always say, if you don't hear it in your head, you won't be able to play it. 

WAYNE HILLIARD
WAYNE HILLIARD Apr 26, 2014

HEY DUKE DO YOU ,USE A DIFFERENT SET OF CHORDS,FOR EVERY LESSON, OR DO YOU USE,THE SAME CHORDS FOR ALL THE LESSONS.

Duke Robillard

Hi Wayne, I try to pick songs that have at least something different in them. They may be the same chords sometime but there is always a different turnaround of some substitue chors that make each song different that the other. It could be the style of rhythm that's different but always something. Thanks, Duke

Tom
Tom Oct 27, 2014

Well... I guess that the reason why I haven't got such a good handle on the Maj/Min pentatonic variable is because I don't have an ear that is developed well enough to recognize it if I hear it...! It's just that I keep reading about it in the instructional books that I buy and thought that I would need it to sound "seasoned". Maybe I just need to get drunk and pick cotton for 40 years in the hot sun to sound like that... eh...?!

Thanx...!

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Oct 28, 2014

Hey Tom, Watched your video. Sounds like the real blues! And just out of tune enough to sound authentic! Duke

Tom
Tom Oct 28, 2014

Take 2

Duke Robillard
Duke Robillard Oct 29, 2014

Hi Tom, I like take 2 also! Good blues feel and you have positions for Chicago style blues under your belt. My recomemdation would be to play along with some of the blues tracks that i provide with some of the songs. Concentrate on timing playing with tracks so you can develop better timing. You ideas are good but you could work on timing. Tapping you foot is a good thing to do to improve concentration on time and groove. Duke

Tom
Tom Oct 29, 2014

Yes, Duke...

I knew when I made those videos that I wasn't sounding my best and I should have been tapping my foot. I was sort of distracted because of my using the video recorder for the frst time. I can play a lot better than that if I just take the trouble to bet myself focused.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close