Donald
Donald Apr 01, 2012

I am a flatpicker when it comes to the blues, (and anything else).

i did try to learn robert johnson blues, and even ordered a few videos on finger picking, a tape course on fingerpicking and it just wouldnt' take,, due to my weak thumbs.

I remember an excerise i saw on of homespun tapes called breaking up the chords which i was able to translate into a simple flatpicking excerise just took out the base line.

but what is your take, mr duke on trying to emulate fingerpicking with a flatpick without incorpating chicken/hybrid picking ?

do we focus on melody, and suppose like if we are at home praticing by ourselves is it better to do chords or do a sort of rhthmic pattern say at the 5 fret, a first pattern on the root and e pattern in the key of a,, instead of resorting to open a licks as we are down out of position ?.

or do you prefer more of a rhythmic fill approach?

but even more so,, when you are doing fingerpicking lead, (without a moving bass line with the thumb), and we are just using one finger aka one  pick , what do you advise ?.

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Apr 01, 2012

Hi Donald, great question.  

The video Duke's going to publish on Friday (Chicago Blues in E Lesson 3) demonstrates a hybrid picking technique using the pick for the bass and one finger for the lead / fills.  Duke's previous two Chicago Blues lessons also show a pick only technique that you may want to check out.  Enjoy!

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close