Lowell
Lowell Jul 22, 2017

Hi Dan!  I love the ukulele lessons and the idea of social music.  Any tips on memorizing lyrics to songs? Also, would it be possible to post a lyric sheet for the lessons too for us to look at once we have the back-up part down?

Thanks!

Lowell

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Jul 26, 2017

Hi Lowell. Gee, we look like twins, don't we? Tweed Twins. 

I'm not sure what Dan would advise, but what helps me is thinking about the lyrics like a story. I try to make it a real experience in my head, so that I'm just remembering what happened to retell the story, if that makes any sense. Take care and best of luck! Bruce

Dan Zanes
Dan Zanes Jul 26, 2017

hey there lowell!

thank you for reaching out.i just heard back from the king of sonic junction and he said yes to lyric sheets.

are there particular songs you'd be interested in or is it a general question. let me see if we can make it a feature for each tune that you can just download.

as far as memorizing lyrics, i struggle with this. my best method is somewhat clunky. i play the songs over and over and try to sing while i'm walking. if i wait until it gets close to performance time i can freeze up so really doing the homework in advance and staying relaxed helps my brain absorb the info. i also notice that there are several layers to the process and i can't really rush them. the good news for me is that once i get the lyrics and feel comfortable they'll stay in my head for ever if i keep playing the tune from time to time....

good luck!!

dz

Dan Zanes
Dan Zanes Jul 26, 2017

hey there bruce!

i love that story approach! i'm going to see if i can use it to strengthen my learning.

i need all the help i can get.

the other challenge for me is when i'm learning a song in spanish or kreyol and i'm not sure what the words mean. it adds another layer of challenge but i think that it can be a useful way to learn a language (which is what i'm hoping now as i'm about to marry a haitian woman! english is her first language but for many of her family haitian kreyol is the first language and i want to be able to speak and sing with them in both languages so it's important that i get it together....).

all of this helps our brains stay loose which is a good thing.

thanks for checking in!!

dan

Lowell
Lowell Jul 28, 2017

Dan, thanks for getting back to me and for the advice!  I'll definitely try walking around and see if that helps!  It was pretty much a general questions... I think it would be useful for all of the songs to have that option.

Bruce, thanks for your input too!  I'll keep that in mind as well.  I tried to take a picture of my Silverface Vibrochamp for my profile photo but it wouldn't let me upload it for some reason.  Is that an ES-125 that you're playing in some of your posts?

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Lowell

Bruce Dumes
Bruce Dumes Jul 28, 2017

Hi Lowell, 

I've spoken to Mike Caren about issues uploading new profile pics. He said it's because the profile photo upload tool is written in Flash, which is becoming less and less well supported by browsers. So he's aware of that issue. You may be able to use it by downloading a new version of Flash, but he's planning it on rewriting it to support more modern technology. 

I have a '65 blackface Vibro-Champ that I absolutely LOVE! My jazzy guitar is an ES-175. I think the 125 has one P90, and the 175 has two humbuckers, if I'm not mistaken.  Or perhaps you're referering to my '42 Epiphone Century? 

Take care!

Bruce

Dan Zanes
Dan Zanes Jul 31, 2017

hey there lowell,

i think it may end up that all songs have the lyric option....i think it's a great idea.

i'll be in touch with mike about it.

one thing i know: he wants you all to have every possible tool that you need to really get inside these tunes.

i'm digging the gear talk here. it makes me want to take my blackface vibro-champ to the shop so i can be as happy as bruce!!

yr pal,

dan

Lowell
Lowell Jul 28, 2017

Hey Bruce, I have a '78 silverface... also a '54 tweed champ 600. The original speaker on the tweed is about to go unfortunately. I love my Vibro-Champ too!

I think I was referring to the Epiphone. It looks like my ES-125tdc. That '42 must have a killer neck!

Take care, Lowell

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close