John D.
John D. Oct 11, 2018

Hi, Chris.

I've been digging into rhythm playing at a deeper level and was wondering if that's something you would consider exploring in more detail on some tunes. I'm a huge fan of your work with Julian and have really been enjoying the experience of learning some of your more complex rhythm sections on tunes like 'Stone Cross'. They're incredibly fun to play, but I find it difficult to break away from a particular way of playing the rhythm, or the chords themselves.

In your recordings and live performances, and even when you play backing tracks here on Sonic Junction, I notice that you seem to improvise quite a bit within a rhythm section, but I feel like that's not something that is usually discussed. We tend to think of improvisation as a tool only applied to lead playing. I think it would be incredibly helpful to learn a little bit about how your mind works when it comes to improvisation within a rhythm section.

Thanks for all you do here and looking forward to more lessons. One of these days I'll have to get a simple recording setup and start uploading some videos.

Best,
John

John D.
John D. Nov 02, 2018

just bumping this up in case it was missed!

John D.
John D. Dec 02, 2018

~

Chris Eldridge
Chris Eldridge Jan 22, 2019

Hi John, thank you for the suggestion! I do improvise quite a lot when playing rhythm and I think that it would be a great topic for discussion.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close