Roy Cotton
Roy Cotton Jul 16, 2017

Chris thanks again for doing Jerusalem Ridge. I was wondering if you could teach Butter and Eggs from your Avalon album with Julian Lage, this is another very cool tune, thanks Roy...

Roy Cotton
Roy Cotton Nov 05, 2018

Chris , Roy Cotton here, I am practicing Old Grimes again, I would like to learn it for a recital in 2019. I played the A part for my guitar instructor today in Austin (Eddie Colllins), he said he kind of recongnized the basic A melody, and pulled put a Steve Kaufmann tab of the song Nancy Dalton, which did sound similar (not that lots of blue grass songs don't sound similar). Is there any relationship to Nancy Dalton, I did find a post from Devin online where he quoted you on its origin. Hope your doing well, come on back to Austin again for another show, Roy

Chris Eldridge
Chris Eldridge Nov 21, 2018

Hi Roy, 

Awesome that you're working on that for your reciatal! Re: the origin of Old Grimes, there are a lot of fiddle tunes that share a lot of material. I don't know the tune Nancy Dalton but I wouldn't doubt that they share some DNA. There's actually a fiddle tune called Duck River that basically also has the same A part. 

The other thing that happens sometimes is that you will have 2 fiddle tunes with the same name but where the tune itself is totally different. Case in point, two versions of Blackberry Blossom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y96JkIhjknI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0WQoBII84

Chris Eldridge
Chris Eldridge Oct 02, 2017

Great suggestion! I will add that to the list...

Chris Eldridge
Chris Eldridge Jan 05, 2018

It’s a very fun song!

Alex B
Alex B Jan 07, 2018

Rygar please!!

Alex B
Alex B Jan 07, 2018

Also, TR's arrangment of "One More Night" - a stunning solo performance.

Ryan Crabb
Ryan Crabb Jan 13, 2018

I would love to have a detailed transcription of PB Boll Weevil!

John D.
John D. Mar 02, 2018

Norman Blake's version of 'Under the Double Eagle'

Chris Eldridge
Chris Eldridge Mar 05, 2018

Good call! I'll put it in the queue. 

James Macklin
James Macklin Sep 08, 2018

That version is one of my favorite flatpicking recordings of all time! It's insane.

Gregory Kelly
Gregory Kelly Mar 11, 2018

Living in the Mississippi Valley please!

Rémy
Rémy Mar 18, 2018

Please please please, "Mean Mother Blues" and how to build crazy solos on it like yours and julian's ones !
thank a lot !

Paul Abbot
Paul Abbot Aug 03, 2018

You possibly get asked about this a lot Chris, but if you could add I am a pilgrim a la Tony Rice or Clarence White to the learn a song list that would be great. I've been working on it for a while, and I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of stuff. I'll post a vid of me doing it soon. I get so damned nervous and stiff when I press the record button though. A red wine or two may help....I'll try that.

Chris Eldridge
Chris Eldridge Aug 04, 2018

Great idea, Paul! Both Tony’s and Clarence’s versions have so much nuance and style, floating over a bed of simplicity. Also, you’re right - a little red wine never increased anyone’s inhibitions!

Paul Lawler
Paul Lawler Aug 16, 2018

How about "Don't Give Your Heart to a Rambler"?  I love Jimmy Martin and TR's versions.  There's a great live video of you playing it with the Punch Bros where you nail a couple of amazing solos. 

I'd love to get some ideas of how to string together a couple of solos.  I'm kinda stuck in the rut of learning solos note-for-note (as best I can) but not having the freedom to improvise my own on the fly.

Chris Eldridge
Chris Eldridge Aug 20, 2018

Hi Paul, another fine suggestion. 

I’m still giving thought on how to teach improvisation via this format. On a very fundamental level improvising, especially when you’re just beginning to do it, is such an act of bravery. It almost can’t be taught but behaviors can be encouraged. And there are exercises that can illuminate the path. I’ve tried to sprinkle tips about improvising throughout the last few years but at some point I will give a fully dedicated lesson on the subject. 

Paul Abbot
Paul Abbot Aug 20, 2018

I feel the same as Paul Lawler. I can't seem to get past just stringing together licks and runs that I've individually learned by rote...and that isn't really improvising is it. It certainly an act of bravery when in front of an audience...especially a small one that's intently listening.

Gabriel Wynne
Gabriel Wynne Sep 14, 2018

How about something from Hawktail - maybe 'Unless' or 'In The Kitchen'. I love how Jordon Tice tackles those slower tunes that seem more naturally suited to the fiddle and upright bass. I'd be particularly interested in looking at trying to capture some of the nuance those bowed  instruments can bring to simple melodies. Thanks Chris! 

Asbjørn
Asbjørn Oct 15, 2018

Ridge Road Gravel :) 

James Macklin
James Macklin Oct 19, 2018

Great song!! One of my favorites.

Asbjørn
Asbjørn Feb 15, 2019

I  would also LOVE if you could teach us "Streets of London".  Manzanita and Church Street Blues are such GREAT albums!

Dennis
Dennis Oct 15, 2018

Hi Chris, Any chance you can teach us some of TR's tricks on "John Hardy" from the Cold on the Shoulder album? I would love to see that on the list. Thanks for all you do for us. 

Paul
Paul Oct 25, 2018

Greener Grass would be fun!

Chris Eldridge
Chris Eldridge Oct 29, 2018

10-4!

Michael Brown
Michael Brown Feb 26, 2019

Hi Chris, You probably already have an idea what you are doing this year based on the number of great recommendations mentioned in previous posts but any chance you would consider teaching the group any of the following songs:  “For Critter,” “Black Mountain Rag,” “Arkansas Traveler” or  “John Henry.” Really appreciate the instruction!

Chris Eldridge
Chris Eldridge Mar 03, 2019

Enslah and Michael, great suggestions! Will put them in the queue. 

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close