Nacho
Nacho Jan 26, 2015

some songs im interested to learm would be, I want to be loved from Muddy Waters Hard Again album, , Rock Me by Muddy,, going away baby, or you are so fine by little Walter, 

athanks Jerry

Dave
Dave Mar 14, 2015

Really enjoying the last two lessons on Sonny Boy and Big Walter. Elements of each with a little tweaking can be made into new choruses for the other. While we're doing tributes to the shuffles of the old masters, I'd love to see a Sonny Terry shuffle along the lines of "Blowing the Fuses."

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Apr 10, 2015

Hi Nacho and Dave

I'll keep those in mind.

Jan Schrama
Jan Schrama Jun 16, 2016

hello Jerry,

i've a song request..."Easy" van Big Walter Horton, i follow a beginner course blues harp and i want to learn to play this song better from Big Walter, this song is a part of the course.

thnx for help, Jan

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Jun 16, 2016

Hi Jan,

On my page, just scroll down in "all lessons" and you'll find "Easy."

Jan Schrama
Jan Schrama Oct 04, 2017

Hello Jerry, 

Easy from Big Walter was a great study-project for me on your all-lessons-page here at Sonic Junction, it helped me a lot to make a fine progression with all the technics i learned from your lessons here.

I have a new song request Jerry,  can you help me with a new song that i study on this moment and try to learn to play, and where i can use your support with the song called, "Boom Boom, Out Go The Lights" from Little Walter,  any help that you can give me for the intro, the first lines of the song and maybe some soloing-tips & tricks...any help is more then welcome for me to breakdown this song from Little Walter, into short playable parts.

Thanx once more again Jerry for helping me out...fine regards,  Jan

Steve woodcock
Steve woodcock Oct 15, 2016

Hello jerry

i am a complete beginner, where do I find the right lessons for me

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Oct 15, 2016

Hi Steve,

Go to the Masterclass section and start working your way through all the basic techniques, starting with chord rhythm. After you have a good grasp of the fundamentals, you'll be ready to follow the song breakdowns.

MICHAEL SCOTT FERGUSON
MICHAEL SCOTT FERGUSON Nov 07, 2016

Aloha Jerry,

I've learned a lot from you - Mahalo ! I started years ago with your great Harmonica Master Class Book/ CDs series. It's an honor to have the opportunity to now continue to learn from you on Sonic Junction. I've enjoyed your music for so many years - with Muddy, with Eric and on your own CDs as well as the work you've done with other great artist.

You did a CD awhile ago with Ronnie Earl and the broadcasters and Darrell Nulisch titled "SOUL SEARCHING". On that CD you covered the amazing Johnny Shines/Walter Horton classic "Evening Sun" and did a stunning version! Could you create a lesson for "Evening Sun"?

Thank you,

All the best...

Aloha, Mike

lou deluca
lou deluca Mar 07, 2017

Jerry,

When can we expect you back to go thru some traditional tunes?

Lou

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Mar 14, 2017

I'm not doing active lessons anymore though I haven't entirely ruled out coming back on occasion. Are there specific songs you're interested in?

lou deluca
lou deluca Mar 14, 2017

Jerry,

\thanks for getting back. How about champagne and reefer or king bee?? anything you want to do would be appreciated.

Lou

lou deluca
lou deluca Mar 14, 2017

How about champagne and reefer or king bee?? Or anything that you recorded with muddy. Their are only a handful of you guys left from the chicago era, and it sure would be nice to listen to your lessons. You know, even if you wanted to talk about amps and mics set ups, or how you guys picked your sets for the night, details you might think about, but rest assured, others are.

Thanks for getting back Jerry, Hope all is well.

Lou DeLuca

Grant Page
Grant Page Oct 03, 2017

Hi Jerry, of the songs you teach on here which one would you recommend stsrting with?

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Oct 03, 2017

Whichever one you like best and want to learn. Make sure you have the basics down first. 

Grant Page
Grant Page Oct 03, 2017

Thanks 

MICHAEL SCOTT FERGUSON
MICHAEL SCOTT FERGUSON Oct 03, 2017

Hello Jerry,

You did a CD awhile ago with Ronnie Earl and the broadcasters and Darrell Nulisch titled "SOUL SEARCHING". On that CD you covered the amazing Johnny Shines/Walter Horton classic "Evening Sun" and did a stunning version! Could you create a lesson for "Evening Sun"?

Thank you,

All the best...

Aloha, Mike

Grant Page
Grant Page Oct 04, 2017

Hello again Jerry, I seem to struggle getting the half step bends on higher key harps and was wondering if you could offer some advice?

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Oct 04, 2017

Hey Grant,

The higher key harps have shorter reeds the higher you go, so they're stiffer and require you to have a strong "grip" on the note as you bend. You need a strong and tight embouchure. Here's an exercise: Take the third hole on an F harp. There are four notes in the draw. Make sure you have the correct  pitches in your head. Play the natural then get the first bend and try to hold the note on pitch. Hold it without wavering as long as you can. Then do the same thing on the second bend and then on the third bend. Play the bends on pitch and hold the note. You'll feel the fine adjustments it takes to control those bends on the high harps. Hope this helps.   

Grant Page
Grant Page Oct 04, 2017

That’s a great exercise. Thanks Jerry

Grant Page
Grant Page Oct 05, 2017

Hi again Jerry if I wanted to study some boogie type songs, what is the first song you’d recommen?

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Oct 05, 2017

All night boogie - Howling Wolf 

Grant Page
Grant Page Oct 14, 2017

Hi Jerry, could you offer some tips for figuring out what position a song is in?

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Oct 16, 2017

Do you mean what KEY a song is in, or how to determine in what position the harmonica is being played In the song?

Grant Page
Grant Page Oct 16, 2017

the position the harp is being played in

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Oct 16, 2017

You just have to figure out where is the tonic note on the harp. The tonic note is the key of the song (or the root note of the one chord). 

So in the key of E, the E note is in:

1 blow.........1st position        E harp

2 draw.........2nd position       A harp

1 draw.........3rd position        D harp

Grant Page
Grant Page Oct 16, 2017

Thanks Jerry

James Carnaza
James Carnaza Jun 18, 2018

Hi Jerry, I'm working on la cucaracha, any possiblity of adding it ?

Thanks again

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close