Jamie J
Jamie J Aug 28, 2014

Hi Jerry,

I usally play guitar but I also want to start the blues harp. I am not sure which key and what brand and I am very confused... I know that if the song is in E you play an A harp, but that is about it. Can you fill me in with some info/advice on how many keys I need and what brand e.c.t? 

Thanks,

J

Preston
Preston Sep 09, 2014

My Advice is to buy A,C,D,G,F,Bb and if you want to spend more buy a Low F Harmonica too!!

Jamie J
Jamie J Sep 10, 2014

Thanks Preston. Is there any model that is good but not too expensive you would reccomend?

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Sep 10, 2014

Hi Jamie --- I'm a beginning harp player too.  I personally like Hohner Special 20's --- great tone and the plastic comb is comfortable / easy to play.  I started with an A Harmonica for Jerry's Masterclass Series and then bought a C Harmonica a little later.  It was actually easier to bend notes on the C Harmonica for me --- and having both helped me to better learn / understand bending.

Preston
Preston Sep 10, 2014

I agree with Mike the special 20's are the ones I use and I like them the best....

Jamie J
Jamie J Sep 11, 2014

Thanks Preston and Mike. Is the hohner blues harp any good? 

Preston
Preston Sep 11, 2014

I once bought one of them to check it and its one of the worst!! i ever played! (leaks too much air) buy a special 20 its a great harp

Jamie J
Jamie J Sep 11, 2014

Ok. Thanks for the suggestions. 

ronald king
ronald king Sep 28, 2015

suzuki harpmaster is equal to the special 20 and lasts much longer

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close