Rich G
Rich G Sep 27, 2013

Hi Jerry,

I've been asked to join a band - big step for me!  They sent me their set list so I can be familiar with what they do before I first get togther with them on Sunday for a practice session.  Generally, they play fairly traditional blues, and I know and have played quite a few of the songs they do (not perfectly, but passably I think): Rock Me, Key to the Highway, My Babe, Red House, Little by Little and a couple of others along those lines.  One that has me stumped so far is Stormy Monday.  I think it is in D minor on the TBone Walker version I have. Can you tell me if that is correct?  If so, I would probably try to play it on a C harp in third position.  So far that sounds okay.  Not that I can really play chromatic, but it  sounds like that might work too (or better).  I have a ten hole Swan in C and it kind of sounds right with the button out.  Am I on the right track - either with the C diatonic in third or the chromatic?  I'm not concerned with having this down by Sunday - just trying to get familiar with what they play.  I do want to add a note of thanks as I have definitely improved a lot in the past couple years (long way still to go of course), and your lessons and this forum have certainly helped. One nice part of this is that one of the guitar players in this band asked me to join after hearing me play a couple of songs with his friend's band.

Thanks,

Rich

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Oct 10, 2013

I'm not sure what version you have so I don't know what key it's in. Once you establish the key, however, either 2nd or 3rd position would work well. It's just a matter of taste. You should try it both ways.

Rich G
Rich G Oct 10, 2013

Thanks Jerry,

i was initially relying on a program I have which usually identifies a song correctly, but in this case wasn't right.  I need to trust my ear more. The version we are using is in the key of G, and, as you indicate, a C playing in 2nd position works pretty well, and I am starting to play it reasonably well.  We have nice set list so far with songs like Rock Me, Crosscut Saw, Little by Little, My Babe, Key to the Highway, All Your Lovin, I Miss Lovin, The Thrill is Gone, Sweet Home Chicago, among others.  Between your lessons, lots of practice (around an hour a day), weekly jams I've gotten enough better (still a long way to go) that a fellow from this band heard me play a couple songs and thought I sounded good enough to play with them.  So thanks.  Rich

Rich G
Rich G Oct 23, 2013

Thanks Iceman, sounds like good advice.  I did watch that video and got some of what he was saying.  I'm starting to sound pretty good on the song by playing it a lot, and, as you say, listening for the changes.  The more I do it the better I am getting at finding the right notes and avoiding the ones that don't sound good. One thing that works for me in learning a song like this is to play along with the entire song at first and really learn the melody.  Then I find it easier to play fills that compliment the melody, as well as have some anchor to hang a solo on.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close