Rich G
Rich G Aug 23, 2013

Hi Jerry,

I was wondering if you could tell me if the signature harp riff on this song (I have it on the Rhino High-Five album) ends with a hand or throat vibrato (warble?), or a combination of both?  The way they do this song on that album gives me chills, kind of like "Rollin and Tumblin" by Baby Face Leroy, Muddy Waters and Little Walter, or Junior Wells "Good Morning Little School Girl." I have been spending a lot my practice time with this song as well as "Born in Chicago" and, especially,  "Walkin' Blues" (Buttefield). I'm sure I am not playing them exactly right, but they are starting to sound okay, and I find that I get better and better at bend control and rhythym as I work on his music.

Thanks,

Rich

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Oct 10, 2013

Hi Rich ... thanks for the post.  I think it would help Jerry if we could post the tune for him.  Is this the one?

Rich G
Rich G Oct 10, 2013

Hi Mike,

Yes, that is the right one.  I have it on a different album, but it is the same version.  However, I've figured it out since I asked.  It's not that difficult but requires good bending control.  I just love the way Butterfield does this song and "Walkin' Blues," and "Born In Chicago."  I make sure to play at least a portion of each song every day. Also, I play "Juke," on Sonny Boy I song and one Paul deLay song each day.  Only takes fifteen or so minutes but doing this has made a world of difference for me.

Thanks for asking.

Rich

Simon
Simon Oct 13, 2013

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T3jutwDfUdo

Forget Butterfield on this one, Jerry played the most mind twistingly incredible 2 solos in the video I've linked. In particular check out the phrase between 1:03 and 1:07. Insane.

Craig
Craig Nov 13, 2013

Wow

Mike Shannon
Mike Shannon Aug 05, 2014

I read a review about the Hohner Rocket. I live in Barcelona so can someone please tell me how much they are compared to the Special 20, and if they have any experience with them.

Thanks,

Mike

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close