CD
CD Jun 06, 2013

Hello Mr. Portnoy-

Could you please comment on my daily workout routine below? Although I firmly believe that working on long notes, scales and bending is utterly important for the blues harp player. However, do you think I am spending way too much time in these areas? If I can manager to play for two hours a day what would you recommend to improve the diversity and efficiency of my daily practice?

21:00-21:20         Long notes, 60BPM, 16 beats per note

21:20-21:45         Ascending and descending major and blues scale played at 120, 160, 180 and 200BPM

21:45-22:15         Bending on G, A, Bb, C, D, E, F

22:15-22:30         Exercise song #1

22:30-22:45         Exercise song #2

22:45-23:00         New techniques (e.g. vibrato, side-flutter…etc)

Guy P
Guy P Jun 08, 2013

Looks Good!!I do alot of that in my practice as well but I also try to set a side a hour or 2 every day just listening to the greats play. Just like Jerry says you cant play what you dont hear. I recently purchased sonny boy (both versions), Walter Horton, G. Harmonica Smith, Little Walter, Junior wells, howlin wolf and james cotton and Kym wilson.

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Jun 08, 2013

What I like about what you're doing is that you have a focused practice routine. When you're not actually playing, listen as much as possible to the classic players: Sonny Boy I, Sonny Boy II, Little Walter, Big Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Junior Wells etc. Get their sounds in your head!

michael
michael Aug 29, 2013

Something Jerry said  "If I can't hear it...I can't play it"

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free