Rich G
Rich G Apr 29, 2013

Good morning Jerry,

I noticed that you commented that you like Crossovers when I was looking at them on either Ebay or Amazon.  I do, too, but also really like the new Marine Band Deluxe.  Have you tried those as well?  To me, they seem a bit mellower than the Crossovers or SP20s.  What I have been doing is replacing my SP20s with Crossovers in the lower keys (so far A, Bb and soon G) as they seem brighter and maybe a bit louder, and Marine Band Deluxes for the higher keys (so far, C, D, F).  Perhaps the difference is mainly in my head, but I like the way each make those keys sound for blues.  Does this make sense to you?  One good thing is that both the MBD and Crossovers feel about the same in my mouth so there is no perceptible adjustment (unlike the SP20s which have no ridge in the front - I used to like that but now have gotten used to the other).  By the way, I think your lessons are working (and lots of practice - Juke everyday - now 330 times and counting - plus plenty of other songs) as some of the better guitarists are starting to ask me to join them in the jams I go to.

Take care, or better yet, have a good time,

Rich Greenberg

Larry "The Iceman"
Larry "The Iceman" Apr 08, 2014

The curious should make it a point to try all different brands and make your own determination of what feels best for you. I tried a Manji and was pretty impressed. My harmonica of choice is Golden Melody at least 18 years old or older, although the new ones seem pretty good to me, too.

Over the years, I've changed from one brand/style to another as my understanding and technique evolved. Started w/Marine Bands (when they cost $3.75 each). Moved to Special 20's when I got tired of wood combs swelling. Then I was on a Lee Oskar kick. Ended up loving Golden Melodies after studying w/Howard Levy, as that was his harmonica of choice at the time.

Remain fluid as your skills improve. Don't be locked into one choice in regards to the instrument you play. 

ronald king
ronald king Sep 30, 2015

hi hugh i feel the same way. i have seydels suzukis oskies even golden cups that my son brought back from china. i never had any luck with hohners, they seem to have a short life span. i've been playing for two years now and i'm 77

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close