Preston
Preston Nov 14, 2012

Hello Jerry,

When playing the two hole chords for the SBW-I Lessons is it ok to use the Tongue Blocking method or should we use  the Lip Pursing method...

Thanks & Regards,

LearningTheHarp.

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Nov 28, 2012

It's good to be able to do it either way and if both techniques are firmly entrenched, your body will automatically choose one or the other in the moment. I probably play those chords more often with my lips but if I'm tongue slapping in there I might stay with that embouchure.

Preston
Preston Nov 29, 2012

Ever since I learnt Tongue Blocking I use it exculsively... I'm so comfortable with it that I feel uncomfortable with Lip Pursing.... Maybe I should practice Lip Pursing too and get in touch with that approach?... Thanks .

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Nov 29, 2012

I would highly recommend it. Except for the high blow bends, I tongue blocked everything for almost ten years. It took me a while to get fully comfortable again lip pursing but it's definiteley worth it and now I can switch between them with ease. Lip pursing gives you a symmetrical embouchure which causes less fatigue and also you can accentuate tonal differences between them. Also, and this is important, it frees your tongue to do other things e.g. double and triple tonguing and other effects.

Preston
Preston Nov 29, 2012

Thanks Jerry... I still can't get over the fact that I'm able to talk to you!! Its just great to be able to get feedback from a Master Harmonica Player.  I leave for work on Sunday (I work on the oil rigs) I will be back in January. The worst part is that on the rig I can't get time to practice :( and I dont have access to the internet :(

Thanks once again I will be back in a month...........

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Nov 29, 2012

Hey Preston,

Stay safe and we'll look forward to your return.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close