Rich G
Rich G Sep 13, 2012

Jerry,

Lately I've been (trying) playing along with a couple of your instrumentals that I really like - Shakin the Shack and Blues In A Dream. I would love for you do a lesson on either of those songs (or any other of yours).  

On a different note, I've been listening to (and playing along with) blues by horn players - mostly Cleanhead Vinson, but also Bill Dogett and others.  In addition to Kidney Stew which you went through here, I really like a number of Vinson's other songs, particularly Sugar, Cleanhead's Blues and Alimony Blues.  Seems to me that there is a lot to learn from horn players and how they shape their notes - am I on the right track here? Plus I like Cleanhead's singing.

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Sep 17, 2012

Hi Rich,

Yeah, I loved Eddie's singing too. A really clear strong voice sometimes punctuated by that crazy squeal he could do. Horn players are a great source for not only material, but for phrasing elements as well. Besides Cleanhead, you might want to check out Red Prysock, Willis (Gatortail) Jackson, Joe Houston, Sil Austin and others.

Rich G
Rich G Sep 17, 2012

Thanks Jerry - I'll check those guys out too.  

You probably know this, but Bob Margolin has made a new CD with Ann Rabson to be released next month.  My wife and I met Ann when she was in the Seattle area last year not long after Pinetop Perkins passed.  I guess he had been at her house a couple of weeks before that.  Ann has been battling cancer for the past year so I wrote to Bob to ask how she was (still fighting it but feeling okay).  I also mentioned that I was taking lessons from you. Even though Bob doesn't know me, he was very nice and wrote back to tell me about Ann.  He also had the highest praise for you.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close