bencohen99
bencohen99 Jun 29, 2012

Hi Jerry,

Here is my attempt at playing the beginning of Junior Parker’s Mother in Law Blues from your first lesson on that song.  I found that singing the parts around the intro and fills helped me keep to the rhythm, so the video includes my singing (btw I took your advice from an earlier lesson and began singing lessons a while back – and things I’m learning around pitch, rhythm, tone and breath seem useful for my harmonica development as well).   Seems like when I listen and compare my playing to you or Junior Parker, my tone seems breathy (less clean and sharp), and I’d like to work on that.  I also feel I need to work on my fanning technique which seems a bit sloppy (FYI... I switched to holding the harp in my right hand after banging up my left elbow when I fell a while back – I may switch back when it heals).  Anyway, I welcome any feedback you may have – note selection, tone, rhythm, flow, etc. – on my harp playing on this video.

Thanks.

Ben.

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Jul 04, 2012

Hi Ben,

Your time and rhythm is spot on and in general it's pretty good but there are a couple of essential things that need to be addressed. In the first phrase I hear you play 3 blow, 3 draw, 4 blow, 4 draw, 4 draw, 4 blow, 3 draw, 4 blow. The 4 blow in boldface should be a bend on the 4 draw instead of the blow note you're playing. The bend should just roll down from the 4 draw you play on the previous note. You do the same thing in the second phrase just before you do the triple tounguing lick. Whenever you hit the 4 draw in this you should start it with a little dig into it like a bend and let it up very quickly instead of just hitting it as a straight note. You also use the 4 blow instead of the 4 draw bend in the middle of the "fanning" part. You should hit that 4 draw bend at the start of the fanning section as well. It starts with a 4 draw bend and then you let it up as you start fanning. I'd like for you to work on this. Listen to me do it on the lesson and you'll hear it and understand what I'm pointing out. If you make these corrections you'll really have it down. I'd like for you to re-post this when you polish it up so I can see how you've done. Good work!

bencohen99
bencohen99 Jul 14, 2012

Hi Jerry,

Interesting that I didn’t hear those 4 bends when I was first learning the song on my own  -- perhaps growing up listening mostly to folk, pop and some rock (and only the past few years venturing into the blues as I’ve been focusing on learning harp) keeps me from hearing those blue notes as easily as I otherwise might.  I also found it challenging at those places where I dig into the 4 draw, quickly let it up, then go into a full 4 bend and quickly move to the 3 draw and back to 4 blow.  That 3 draw keeps wanting to bend.  To address that challenge I did find  your masterclass CDs helpful, which have some exercises moving quickly in and out of bends around adjacent holes (not sure if those exercises are here in the sonic-junction site masterclass lessons).  At any rate, here’s a second attempt.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks. – Ben.

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Jul 23, 2012

Good job Ben. At exactly 17 seconds on the time code you should roll off of the 4 draw with a bend, slide to the 3 draw then come back to the 4 blow. You leave out the bend and just go from the 4 draw to the 3 draw then back to 4 blow. Putting in that little bend will improve the continuity and phrasing. 

bencohen99
bencohen99 Aug 01, 2012

Thanks, Jerry.  I see just what you mean.  I'll continue to work on this as I move on to your second "Mother in law Blues" lesson.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close