B---K
B---K Jun 17, 2012

Hello Jerry.

Would it be possible for you to do a lesson that presents all the different keys (key of the first position), in which you play the same riff, so that we can get a sense of what they all sound like?

Also a list of a few of the classics that are played in each of the keys.  Maybe with a brief explanation of why those keys were appropriate?

Your lessons are very good, and you are right about listen to it, get the sound down, and then it will eventually come automatically.

Thanks very much.

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Jun 27, 2012

Hey B-K,

If I play the same riff in different key harps they should sound the same except the pitch will be higher or lower depending on the key of the harp. If you're talking about playing the same riff on the same harp but in different positions (keys) then there will genarally be a different effect because the note choices may not be the same or, even if all the notes are there, they may have a different sound - for instance, a note may be a natural note in one position but a bent note in another, which will give it a different character. 

B---K
B---K Jun 27, 2012

Hi Jerry and thanks for the reply.  I guess I complicated what I was trying to say.

Basically, I would like to get a sense of what each key of harp sounds like.  (On each harp do 123 Blow, 123 Draw,  234 Blow, 234 Draw, etc. all the way to about 567 Draw, and pure notes for the first 7 holes.)  I have no idea what, for example, a low F sounds like, or even why someone would play it.

Thanks again.

Rafael Santos Sampaio
Rafael Santos Sampaio Aug 15, 2012

Hi Jerry,

I'm new to the site but I'm already loving it! Regarding Keys and tones, I can confess that my main issue is to fast identify the music key. Always when I start to play with other mates ou in a Gig, the music starts and I start to try some harps until if find the one that best fits into the music (usually I go on 2nd position but sometimes on 3rd). The fact is that I feel less confident on stage because I'm always unsure about the right pitch. Do you have any advices and probably exercises to do to improve that ability?

Best regards,

Rafael

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Sep 11, 2012

The obvious thing to do is ask the band leader what key the song is in before they kick it off. If you can hear the the tonal center or root note on your own you'll have the right note in your head but still have to go through various harps playing the 2 hole draw in each one till you find the one with that note. This skill to hear the root note in your head will improve over time but you'll still have to search through a few harps. Just ask what key the next song is going to be in.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close