bencohen99
bencohen99 Jun 06, 2012

Hi Jerry.  Here’s my attempt at the Kidney Stew head -- from the May 17th lesson.  I’m curious to get any feedback on pitch, tone, rhythm, etc.  If my hearing is accurate, the five note riff that starts a short way into the head is: 3 draw 1st bend -- 3 draw 2nd bend -- 2 draw – 3 draw 2nd bend – 2 draw.  That repeats and then the sequence ends on 2 draw then 2 blow.  I’m wondering if I’m accurate at least in my hearing of it.  My playing is another story -- I don't think I get all the bends quite right.  Would appreciate any brief thoughts you may have -- and from anyone else in the forum.  Thanks. -- Ben

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Jun 07, 2012

Hi Ben ... SWEET !! I like how you are moving with the music and your low end tone.  The slide into the note around 0:33 is cool.  The more I watch Jerry, the more I realize how important tone, phrasing and timing is ... i.e. how each note is shaped.

On both your video and Jerry's lesson I really like that last riff to start the solo .... would be great to hear both of you guys improvise a chorus or two.

Great work!  I'm going to be practicing tonight!

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Jun 07, 2012

Really good job Ben! You're hearing it correctly and the bends and holes you reference are correct.The bends you play on the 3rd hole are sometimes right on pitch and othertimes only just a tiny bit off but it's no cause for concern because I can tell that you've got the right notes in your head and it's just a matter of being confident and anticipating hearing the note. With time, practice and repetition, the muscles and slight changes in embouchure that allow you to bend notes will execute them more automatically and with more precision. Even I didn't hit them 100% dead center every time in my demonstration. That first bend on the 3rd hole is especially tricky but control of the 3rd hole and the notes in it is essential. I can hear your foot tapping and you are playing on time. All of this is good and very encouraging. You've successfully made it to the starting line. You're playing the right notes in the right time sequence. Now the challenge is to make it more musical - make the notes flow and the phrases swing. Be patient. You're on the right track and doing very well.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close