Allen Stratyner
Allen Stratyner May 28, 2012

Hi Jerry,

You knew Walter Horton, and I love the performance of, "Hoochie Coochie Man" you both played on "I'm Ready".  One of Walter's great harmonica playing attributes was his monster tone. Gary Primich once told me he thought Big Walter tongue blocked all the time, but I'd think Walter would have taken advantage lip blocking too when he thought it was the more appropriate embouchure.  Do you have any insights into what Big Walter did that helped him to create that memorable tone?   Thanks and best regards,  Allen  

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Aug 22, 2012

Hi Allen,

I believe almost all the top players use a combination of lip pursing and tongue blocking, Walter being no exception. As to his tone: first of all, he had a very subtle fast vibrato that was sometimes nearly subliminal but gave his notes an almost glowing quality. The other factors were an ability to alter his embouchure to make very distinctive changes in the sounds of his note from bassier to more treble and last, but certainly not least, his tongue blocking had a snap and percussive quality that was truly extraordinary. I heard him play solo many times in his room and, believe me, it was one of the great natural sounds I ever heard come from a harmonica. 

Best,                                                                                                                                                            

Jerry

harvey kail
harvey kail Aug 28, 2012

Jerry,

I am very much enjoying learning Jug Band Waltz.  The melody is charming, even when played without all the embellishments. I also enjoy playing in first position, for a change. I am to the point now that I can back tongue the rhythm parts, but I am stil struggling to incorporate the tongue roll and the draw equivalent.  The hand vibrato is going to come in later, when eveerything esle is in muscle memory. I have two queries.  First, when you tongue roll on the blow notes, are you switching to tongue blocking as you initially hit the 7 hole blow or do you wait until you slap tongue the first back beat rhythm note?  I can't tel from the recording.  Second query: how can I avoid freezing up some of my draw notes when I back tongue or tongue slap my way through the song?.  Frequently, I find my 5 hole draw soon refuses to play, sometimes other of my draw notes, as well. I have to stop playing and fuss with the instrument for a few minutes until all is clear.  Any suggestions?

Harvey Kail

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Aug 29, 2012

Hi Harvey,

The answer to your first question is, yes, I am tongue blocking as I initially hit the 7 blow. As to why the draw notes seem to stick when you're back tongueing or slapping, I am not really sure. It may be something in the embouchure or the way you're drawing those notes too hard that produces some strain and causes the note to stick. Try to relax your throat on those draw notes.

harvey kail
harvey kail Aug 29, 2012

Thanks for your response. Harvey

Timothy Oliveri
Timothy Oliveri Sep 08, 2012

I have only tongue blocked my entire life, have trouble bending though and my draw notes sometimes stick, so I should learn lip pursing as an addition to, not a replaceent to tongue blocking?  Lip pursing more on draw notes?

Allen Stratyner
Allen Stratyner Sep 08, 2012

Thanks Jerry! Big Walter is my favorite of the pioneering harp blowers. I especially love his first position playing like on Hard Hearted Woman, and Trouble In Mind.  My best, Allen

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close