Donald
Donald Apr 01, 2012

I been watching your takes on learning the harp via aids, and your approach to the harp.

I didn't see any blues scale mentioned in the bending video, or the pursing.

did i miss it ? (if so what lesson do you recommend for it?)

quick little note here, i praticed at a band and i just did riffs, licks, and tricks like trills/tremelo and a lot of bending. i currently don't know any songs as well but everyone said i sounded awesome, and people were shocked so i was inspired and here i am.

i got the books , teach yourself blues harp, learn chicago blues, the harmonica by glenn wiser, and tom ball.

so i been praticing the blues scale for two days straight (half hour each ) on a g special 20, and blues harp d harp.

i was inspred as one of the books said that a blues songs the majority of it was in the blues scale and the rest of it was in passing tones etc.

should one keep praticing the blues scales ? I been breaking it up into the patterns taught by phil duncan in the book so i am interested to hear your take on how essential is the blues scale knowledge to a player ?.

I break the blues scales pattern up in terms of 1,3b, instead of notes and wondered why no one incorpates the 6th , (5 hold blow) into their solo that much, or is that a mistake on my thinking since it isnt' in the blue scales. ?

Mike Caren
Mike Caren Apr 02, 2012

Hi Iceman ... this is perhaps one of the best post I've read in a long time.  I've never done what you suggested ... just play a note through the progression and listen to the color .. but I WILL !!   My challenge is turning the notes I play into music ... and this approach really resonates with me.  Thanks!

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Apr 03, 2012

As usual, Iceman's comments are right on the mark. I never learned any scales, though I am not discounting their potential value. Practicing scales may help some with your facility but it's more essential to listen to classic examples of great blues and great blues harmonica to develop a feel for the music so you know what notes will sound good in what place - where to place the notes you choose. Then, if those notes are played with a good sound, you have everything you need to make good music. 

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close