Donald
Donald Apr 01, 2012

ok here is my problem, at best my tongue covers 2 holes and doesn't come close to the 3 holes.

the closest i came to it was having the harmonica at the extreme right of my mouth.

i got this off wiki

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Harmonica/Basic_Holding_and_Playing_a_Harmonica

Standard Tongue block

This embouchure is favored by many skilled players, as there are many effects that can only be done by using tongue block, and, in fact, necessary for jazz and classical playing. Simply put, it involves stretching the mouth over about four to five holes, and then using the tongue to block the holes.

This is the most difficult embrochure, but there are many methods of achieving it.

A few useful tips that will help greatly:

1. Bring the harmonica deep in your mouth. If the mouthpiece hasn’t penetrated past the front teeth, you need to open your mouth wider and get the whole front of the harp pushed further back in the mouth. This has two effects: it gives you a fuller sound, and allow your breath to access to several holes.
  2. Tilt the harmonica so that the mouthpiece is tilted downward; that way, you can use more of the tongue to block, and you will find the technique less tiring.
  3. Push the tongue to the harmonica. Don’t use the tip of your tongue to block the holes - instead, press it to your lower front teeth and gently push the tongue forward so that the top of your tongue contacts the harmonica. This will allow smooth transitions as you move from hole to hole.
  4. After you place your stretched mouth over the holes, jerk the tongue to the left on higher octaves, and to the right on lower octaves - then place the tongue over the holes, such that only one hole is opened for air. If you have problems doing both sides, try jerking the tongue to the left only.
<dl>
If it seems like you are making more than one sound, either press the tongue wider on the harp, or narrow your lips.
</dl>

___

am i really bringing the harmonica deep in my mouth ?

and do i tilt it downwards , or even upwards ?

and how does the lower front teeth come into this ?

i watched the video and you use the side of the tongue and so it looks like you are talking out of the side of your mouth you said,, but you still keep the harmonica in the center of your mouth ? or doe sit naturally go the right of left side of the mouth ?

thanks in advance mr portnoy, i relaly want to take my harmonica to the next level past puckering.

Jerry Portnoy
Jerry Portnoy Apr 03, 2012

Yet again, Iceman's take on things is essentially correct though, personally, I don't recommend tilting the harp. Whatever works though - the proof is in the sound. The basic problem is that, most likely, you don't have the harp deep enough in your mouth. When you play with pursed lips, your lips kind of keep the harp at a certain distance. Relax your mouth and put it deep enough in your mouth so that when you inhale or exhale you're hearing a full, rich 4 hole chord.

I assure you that your tongue is wide enough to cover three holes at once. Extensive scientific research has proven conclusively that this is so.

Login popup sm Login popup banner

Member Log In

Forgot your password? Click here

New To Sonic Junction?

See Sign Up Info >

Popup close

Login popup sm

New To Sonic Junction?

Try 2 Lessons Free

Popup close